Remember how Jewish Rabbi's molested young boys and provoked the nazis?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by niuniu, Apr 2, 2010.

1. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Neither do I. Though if you're Catholic your version of history might be as muddy as your relationship with young children.

VATICAN CITY — Pope Benedict XVI's personal preacher is likening accusations against the pope and the church in the sex abuse scandal to "collective violence" suffered by the Jews.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h9tJ-LNtc9Bz4QRBQ7V3BmEggRvQD9ER1KE80

How about, the Catholic church's seemingly unending stream of child abuses has increased the ire of critics? No, they couldn't say that, that would make sense or something daft. Poor Catholic church. My heart bleeds.

2. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

This should be in PRSI. I don't go to the Community Discussion forum to learn about current events, I come here to give sad Internet friends lady advice, and to discuss the smell of various food items.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- that took balls. Keep it up, Catholic leadership. Truly amazing. But what do I know? I don't "understand" the Church.

4. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

It is.

No opinion on Catholics likening criticism levelled at them to the holocaust, but plenty quick off the mark when it comes to forum organisation. Nice post.

Edit: don't mean to be harsh, just irritated from hunger and seeing the Pope on tv :p

5. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Well it wasn't when I wrote that post :p

Carry on.

Edit: I'm not falling into your trap, I could care less about your opinions on this matter.

Edit 2: No prob. Hunger gets the best of all of us!

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

There is already major thread dedicated to this topic here.

I'm not a catholic so this doesn't effect me personally but I'm having trouble understanding what you're implying here.

7. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Wow, way to take things way out of context. One priest quoting a Jewish friend of his leads to this backlash? As if there was any doubt of the anti-Catholic intentions of certain members of this forum before now.

Did anyone read the article, or just the inflammatory headline?

8. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

The title's inflammatory, but the Pope's preacher's comment aren't?

How about the church tries to show some remorse for the 100's, if not 1000's of abuse cases we know about now instead of playing a sympathy card on the back of the holocaust.

Disgusting how some people care more about Catholicism's reputation that the abuse of young children.

9. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Did you even read my post, let alone the article?! One priest quoted a Jewish friend of his. That's it. "The Church" didn't play a "sympathy card on the back of the holocaust." One guy related a conversation he had with a friend! Are you serious?

Or do you want to blame his Jewish friend of exploiting the Holocaust, too?

I simply cannot believe a) how biased you and this article are, and b) the way you clearly and willfully disregard the facts just because it suits your biases.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Why relate the quote during a service if you aren't looking to play the sympathy card? I can't believe you're even trying this. Unbelievable. You should be admonishing this guy for even saying that. And how do you know that it was Jewish friend of his who said it anyway? Because priests never lie?

11. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

And I cannot believe you're playing this. I don't think this was a smart move on the part of the priest. I agree that he shouldn't have said it. But don't condemn the entire Church as playing the "Holocaust sympathy card" because one guy, who's probably been on the defensive like nobody's business for the past months, made a poor choice in his words.

If the thread were, "This priest shouldn't have said this." I would have chimed right in with my agreement. Instead, this was another blatant attempt to smear an entire religion no matter what the facts actually are. You're just kicking people while they're down. I hope you feel good about yourself.

12. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

The one guy happens to be the Pope's preacher :rolleyes: Doesn't go much further up than that.

I wish I were that naive, I'd sleep better at night. You for one moment think that wasn't orchestrated as to allay criticism for saying something so abhorrent and distracting from the actual issue? Oh I forgot, it's ok to say the N-word. I have black friends.

As if common sense wouldn't lead to that conclusion, what do they do next with the letter? Pack it up and stick it with the others they receive? No, they send it off to another branch of the church. They're making a publicity campaign from it. No, not orchestrated at all.

The fact that they would even come out guns blazing instead of showing remorse is sick ab initio.

13. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Oh yeah, it was orchestrated. :rolleyes: It's all one big conspiracy. :rolleyes:

And no, it's not okay because "he has a Jewish friend." His Jewish friend SAID it.

Publicity? Are you serious? Let me tell you, priests don't normally have their sermons broadcasted globally. But go ahead, stick with the conspiracy theories. You're right, Catholics are just out to get you and molest little boys in the process. :rolleyes:

14. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Are you really that naive, you don't know that the Church has advice on publicity? No-one's crying conspiracy. It's a simple matter of the church publicly defending itself.

This was a public event, and the Pope's preacher used it to fight the negative publicity instead of showing remorse.

Sick. These people don't belong in the 21st century.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

My god! You don't even see the damage this scandal has caused when it's right in front of you. Do you not understand that every word that comes from the Vatican is now suspect because of decades of inaction? Do you not understand how severely the public's trust has been violated? Do you not see that the church is going to have to do a hell of a lot to make up for covering up for child molesters?

This is not "kicking people when they're down". This is being astonished at just how little grasp they seem to have on just how much damage has been done. It comes across as insensitive at best, callous at worst. And this wasn't some random priest, either.

Exactly- this should not have been used as a "woe is us, the rest of the world is out to get us" moment.

16. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

You think the Church sits around and vets every sermon? If this were a papal letter or a press release, I'd agree with you.

"These people." Give me a break.

17. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Maybe I'm not getting this. Was the Jewish friend saying that the accusations against the Catholic Church were similar to anti-semitism?

Isn't anti-semitism prejudice or hostility toward Jews? The accusations of abuse are accusations of abuse, not necessarily anti-Catholicism. (Although, there are certainly some who are using these allegations to fuel their hostility toward that religion). [edit] Maybe that's what he was talking about.

The other statement I don't understand at all. Is he saying that the accusations of abuse are doing collective damage to the Catholic church similar to the way the collective violence hurt the Jews? If so, is he saying that the Jews brought that collective violence on themselves, or that the Catholic church is innocent? [edit] Maybe he's just saying that the church is taking a big hit without necessarily commenting on the underlying abuse scandal.

I think the statements might have been unwise, but clearly they are not very well thought out.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If it's coming out of the Vatican in front of the Pope, one would hope it's been vetted.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm getting sick of the "one guy" argument. One guy touched a kid. One guy covered it up. One guy moved a priest to another church. We've had a lot of these "one guys." At some point, the church has to take responsibility and take the blame.

If it were a company, and some of its low level retail employees stole money from customers, and the managers at the company just moved employees around from store to store, rather than turn them in to law enforcement, and the top execs didn't do anything either, the bad publicity would fall upon the company itself, and rightfully so. No one would be saying "One guy did this, one guy said that." The company would see a ****storm of bad publicity and their name would be tarnished. The church is at that point. These are no longer isolated incidents. The church either needs to get it's **** together and fire every single person involved in child abuse or the coverup thereof, and see to it that the abusers are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, or the church needs to be known as an organization that provides a safe harbor for child molesters.

20. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

It was the Pope's preacher. And they sent the letter halfway across the globe, so lack of 'vetting' isn't even nearly a credible defence.

You do need a break.

The terrible shame here is that people would rather try to find wiggle room in arguments to defend the Church, when all over the world families are dealing with the aftermath of their abused children.

Absolutely abhorrent. In one church alone, there were over 200 known cases of abuse. That's one church.

21. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

You know, the Church did that. The pope has specifically apologized. Five years ago he said there was "filth" in the Church. Now you're expecting a gag-order on all priests so that they don't accidentally say something that can be misconstrued? You're living in a fantasy world if you think the Church has that much control over their priests.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The catholic church rapes kids and attempts to cover it up when anyone else would be sitting their ass in jail. nuff said.

23. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Exactly, time to see the dissolution of it. It's a farce and it's disease has perverted everything from children to public office.

24. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Okay, now you're just lying. This was no letter sent "halfway across the globe." This was said at a prayer service.

And no, they wouldn't "rather find wiggle room in arguments to defend the Church." The Church has already said a terrible thing has happened. Now people, like you, are jumping on these events to go further to criticize the Church in completely unfair ways. He didn't say, "Those accusing priests of abuse are like Nazis." Not even close. He said, "People are seizing on these events, and showing their obvious anti-Catholic prejudices."

Actually look at the facts, maybe, instead of making things up.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Can a church stop their priests from touching kids? No. As soon as there are allegations of abuse, can it turn the priest in to law enforcement for further investigation, and upon conviction, fire them? Yes. Did they? No. Therefore, the only logical conclusion is that the church is an organization which provides a safe harbor for child molesters.