Remember Iraq?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Feb 11, 2008.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

For some reason, the MSM and candidates don't seem to be mentioning it as much. But, well, it's still not great. More bad news unfortunately.

Violations of 'Islamic teachings' take deadly toll on Iraqi women

And if that wasn't bad enough:

War demands strain US military readiness

Pretty self explanatory, but it gets worse:

Army Buried Study Faulting Iraq Planning

Nice.

2. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

personally, i just don't think we are gonna pull out anytime soon. with things going south in afghanistan, we need more recruits than ever. perhaps the candidates know that there's no viable exit plan in the near future.

3. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Notice how quickly public attention shifted to the economy? The problem is that not than many citizense are personally affected by the war. I have friends that served in the military, but that was well before 9/11. I don't know a single person that's been involved. If this were like Vietnam, with a draft and higher casualties, this war would have been over as soon as it begun. Perhaps, I'm over-generalizing.

4. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

You are definitely right.

My brother is in Iraq. Two kids I grew up with have died there. It seems like if a person doesn't have a relative or close friend there, they really don't think about Iraq. There has been absolutely zero personal sacrifice required, which I think it unfortunate.

Now that the media's focus is entirely on the economy and the upcoming elections, I'm afraid people will totally forget about the horrible things that are going on over there.

5. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

The elections were all about Iraq when they candidates were first announcing their intentions to run.

That's why McCain was dead in the water and Giuliani was the GOP frontrunner.

Then suddenly, right around the time of the first primaries, when more year-end economic data was being made public, America realizes what a mess we're in economically and that became the big issue, and will probably continue to be throughout the election.

I don't think this is ignorance on Americans parts or a media conspiracy to supplant the war with the economy, I think it's just something that came to the forefront and which - because it touches so many more people's lives directly - is a hot-button issue.

Once we have our two nominees and debates begin, I'm sure Iraq will get thrown in the mix again.

6. stevegmu macrumors regular

The media began to take the spotlight off Iraq when the troop surge began to show results.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The fact that you can still read these stories, if you choose to, suggests to me that this isn't a media issue, it's a public attention span and priority issue. With the economy headed possibly towards a recession I think it's perfectly natural for public priorities to shift away from an event on the other side of the world which has dragged on for over four years towards more immediate domestic issues. The good news I suppose is that by-in-large the American public now "gets" the war in Iraq. Few still think it was a good idea, and this sentiment is bound to feed into the national election whether it's still priority #1, or 2 or 3.

8. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

If I believed in God, I'd pray for a draft. It would end all this madness.

9. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I remember, the hot button issue was troop withdrawal.

I should have clarified I don't think it's a media conspiracy or anything. It's just the nature of the beast. I'm glad the economy is getting attention.

10. stevegmu macrumors regular

C. Rangel introduced legislation proposing the reinstatement of the draft. Odd he didn't vote for it when it reached the floor.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This is a rather glib response. Don't you think there's any other possibility?

I'd point to the election and the economy as replacement stories, combined with little change in the direction of the Iraq War as a result. Of course, we could also cite the problems that western journalists are having in Iraq and we'd have a far more complex answer.

12. stevegmu macrumors regular

There has been a substantial drop in violence in Iraq. If there were daily bombings with mass casualties, Iraq would be covered in greater detail.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Again, I wonder if there's not more to this than "if it bleeds, it leads." Of course, I don't like simple answers.

14. stevegmu macrumors regular

Here's a typical response I see all the time.

15. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

40 US troops died in Iraq in January, the highest number since September. So far, the fatality rate in February exceeds that of January (1.45/day vrs 1.29). February civilian and Iraqi security force deaths also seem to be on the rise.

http://icasualties.org/oif/

I think it's hardly a leap of logic to deduce that some portion of the decline in violence is a decision by those who perpetrate it to wait out the surge.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh really? And where is it that you see this "typical response all the time"?

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

With the exception from a single recent bombing, I actually have seen some "good" news stories from Iraq. The stories that the OP posted where the first I've heard of those things. Election news has dominated most of the headlines.

What is really wrong here is reveling in the bad news. Sometimes it seems like those who oppose the war in Iraq all to proudly decry the violence that occurs there. Any progress that is truly made there is met with the same disdain and cynicism as if it didn't happen. How could any reduction in violence be unwelcome?

18. stevegmu macrumors regular

I think that increase is US casualties was due to a large operation at that time. On the same page from that link is the story from NPR- of all sources, saying there has been a big drop in violence in Baghdad since the troop surge was launched.
    I'm not sure the insurgents can train and recruit as fast as they are being killed.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If you write them yourself, you get to see them as often as you like.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ah yes, forgot about that. ;)

As for Iraq- I'm glad the violence seems to be calming down. But when you've killed so much of the population off, it's not to be unexpected. They're just animals anyway, right? :rolleyes:

21. stevegmu macrumors regular

I would never write such garbage. A response like that is standard fare for a certain group of people, who shall remain nameless.

Here'a another one. As we all know, there is a vast right-wing media conspiracy.

22. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The increase in US casualties preceded the surge (as did sectarian violence in general). Note the US casualties in October-December 2006 and Iraqi deaths starting September 2006.

Not to say that the surge itself didn't contribute to the rise in US casualties. Of course it did. It also contributed, apparently heavily, to the decrease in sectarian and other violence.

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Congratulations on reaching 100 posts stevegmu!

24. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Except it has not shown 'results'.

25. stevegmu macrumors regular

No, I mean last month. There was a spike in US casualties because Operation Phantom Phoenix began Jan. 1.