Remember the days apple used to charge for updating iOS on ipod touch ?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by DBZmusicboy01, Jun 25, 2013.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Was there one that cost $15 and the other $5 ?
    I AM GLAD That apple doesn't charge anymore
    imagine having to pay for each update.

2. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

Wasn't it also really easy to bypass the update fee too? I owned an iPod Touch first Gen, first gen iPhone and never paid for iOS upgrades.

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

In the end Apple makes their money on the premium they charge on their hardware. OS X now goes for $20. Who knows if Mavericks will go down even further or even free.

Then you have MS who have a million different of Windows and charge a premium to use it. In turn, PCs cost less. I have no plans on going completely over to Windows, but last year I bought on Windows laptop for under $300. Not going to get that on a Mac. No it's not a workhorse, but it wasn't bought for that purpose.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you're curious, he's an article that explains the funky accounting Apple originally had to do in order to provide free updates for the iPhone and AppleTV. To me, made since why they didn't do that type of accounting for the rest of the stuff they sold.

Anyhow, appears that Apple and other tech companies lobbied and had that accounting procedure changed in late 2009, which allowed for free iPod touch updates thereafter. :)

http://www.businessinsider.com/henr...e-could-send-profits-and-stock-to-moon-2009-9

5. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I fear that "free" updates would come at the price of older devices losing support much sooner.