Remember when Hurricane Katrina heralded a new era of devastating superstorms?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Aug 28, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Hurricane Katrina was supposed to herald a new era of devastating climate-change induced hurricanes and superstorms. Well, it’s been ten years and I don’t believe we’ve experienced any unusually devastating hurricanes. Now I am a firm believer in AGW so don’t attack the humble bearer of inconvenient truths; however, unless I’ve missed something the seasonal incidence of hurricanes seems to be as normal as it was ten or fifty years ago.

This anomaly (or lack thereof) hasn't affected climate alarmists, though. They still cite every weather report as evidence that we are all doomed. El Nino? Climate change. La Nina? Climate change. Drought in California? Climate change. Rain in Indonesia? Climate change. Instead of treating AGW as a long-term threat, their scare-mongering and dogmatic refusal to consider clean nuclear power has caused most of the nation to tune them out.

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Even the guy who started freakin' Greenpeace is on board with nuclear power. We have an option for clean power made by an American company (GE) that can be the start of fixing our outdated power grid, help the economy and....ah screw it, because Japan refused to listen to the people who built one of their power plants and had a leak, we will never see more plants in this country.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

people bought their carbon credits & the U.S was saved :p

4. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Climate Change, now there's a real money making opportunity that even Apple wants to partake in.

Leveraging the hate, attacking a fabricated enemy, from top to bottom the libs are on a tear.

Here's Tim putting his weight behind it, and further strengthening his pro big government position. Now doing business with the Feds, Apple's war chest continues to grow fatter. :D

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...89be4b0c818f617703e?utm_hp_ref=climate-change

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

1. You forgot about Sandy, which wasn't a hurricane, but was categorized as a superstorm nonetheless.

2. Is it possible you're overlooking storms in other parts of the world?

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

They don't count.

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I lived through the 2011 tornado outbreak, considered one of the most extreme in history. 2012 wasn't much better. Both were caused by unusual weather patterns, aided, strangely enough, by smoke from the burning of the rain forests in South America.

There hasn't been once since, so I can't say they're definitive proof of AGW. But they were strange and isolated enough to make you think.

8. APlotdevice, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

You mean remember the umpteenth time that news stations didn't understand how science works and sensationalized for the sake of ratings?

There's a consensus that global temperatures are increasing. There was and is still no consensus on what effect that has on tropical storms. Some models show that it has a considerable effect on the number and/or intensity of storms, while others suggest that it's basically insignificant. The problem is that there just isn't enough data to say one way or the other.

9. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

1. A sample size of one isn't useful.

2. Nope. Hurricane activity in the Atlantic and Pacific have trended normal before and since Katrina. In fact, there hasn't been a Category 5 Atlantic hurricane since 2007.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So you haven't even seen the torrential storms that killed thousands of people in the Phillipines? Really?

http://www.weather.com/storms/typhoon/news/typhoon-noul-dodong-yap-philippines-may2015
    http://www.weather.com/storms/typhoon/news/typhoon-maysak-yap-philippines-pacific
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Haiyan
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-22/six-killed-as-typhoon-hits-northern-philippines/6717304

Those are just for starters. You haven't heard anything, because your sources aren't looking at the global level, but only the national level. Haiyan alone killed 6300 people, and was a Category 5 storm, in 2013.

Quit limiting to Atlantic only, because the Atlantic isn't the only place where these storms originate.

BL.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Found an interesting source for this information at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pdf/nws-nhc-6.pdf.

It paints a complex and detailed picture of storm activity in the U.S., from 1851 to 2010. While the severity of storms is not greater than pervious years, the number of storms appear to be rising.

Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 6.38.59 PM.png

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

If you believe in climate change you'll be boycotting all products built in China I presume?

No new iPhones for you.

13. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Climate change isn't a belief; it's a scientific fact, like evolution, necessity of vaccines, and that GMOs are safe.

The China part is nonsense.

14. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

15. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Destructive as Katrina was, there were a number of typhoons in recent years hitting the Philippines that were even more destructive, mostly because of the size and the extremely intense sustained winds of those cyclonic storms.

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

"Belief" in climate change is like "belief" that 2+2=4.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There have been category 5 storms in the atlantic since Katrina, they just didn't hit anything. Doesn't mean they never existed. Now if we look to the western pacific, they have been plenty just this year alone.

Lets also not forget the huge blizzards we have had the past few winters.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

[​IMG]

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Not to play semantics but at some point math equations were made up. They didn't just appear out of thin air. :p

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

That's just the type of circular explanation I'd expect from a Mathtian.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I do wonder if our math is not as strong as we thing it is. What if there were a more intelligent life form somewhere in the galaxy that has superior math equations that explain time travel.

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

If you think about it, our numbering system does have an inconsistency. Look at the teens. Why is it that they're pronounced differently than all the other numbers. When you get into the twenties, it's all twenty-three, twenty-four, twenty-five. Same with the 30's, 40's, 50's, and so on.

But from 10 to 20? It's thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, etc. etc. And even there it's not consistent. Eleven and twelve don't follow the same rules among this weird discrepancy in our numbers. They stand alone amongst all the numbers, not adhering to the standard or logical form of even the weirdo numbers they're sat amongst. Shouldn't they at least be eleventeen and twelveteen?

This is why I think your maths are a lie.

23. FieldingMellish Suspended

Al Gore talked about what's going to happen within a scant 5 years in his 2006 movie, An Inconvenient Truth. Inconveniently, none of that had come to pass.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Well we did have a black president, I'm sure that was mentioned in that movie somewhere. :p

25. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Al Gore is a ****ing politician who made a movie for entertainment. He's not a scientist.

He's quite irrelevant when it comes to the actual science behind climate change, and bringing him up just destroys your credibility and illustrates your bias. :)