Reminder: Buy that phone with that AMEX/CC with all that extended warranty stuff.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jrlcopy, Sep 13, 2012.

1. jrlcopy, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

2. jrlcopy thread starter macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

I've actually forgotten about the extended coverage so much, I'm reviewing my statements now to see if I have anything that's broken. haha.

3. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

4. Orien macrumors regular

Orien

AFAIK, no.

5. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Bleh :(

I've got CC with my bank, Capital one and even Discover, but Amex wont touch me yet. Too young..

6. Orien macrumors regular

Orien

Yeah, AMEX wouldn't approve me for a while despite excellent credit until I was 20.

7. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

try applying for the amex zync. it's geared to the the younger generation

8. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Denied. I need to wait a year/6 months to get the hard pulls off my credit. Even though I was approved for all but one of the hard pulls, it still shows several of them :/

9. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

10. flatfoot99 Guest

11. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Lucky for me USAA does AMEX cards so even though I am young I still got an AMEX, although my credit score is 798 so that helps.

I was going to use my Chase card so I could get more Southwest miles...but an extended warranty is nice.

12. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

They used to do it on everything....I remember I got it on my iMac, then they stopped so I switched to my BOACC for Amazon points....I'd rather have the warranty though.:)

13. jrlcopy thread starter macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

Ultimately amex or whomever just cuts you a check for the full amount of what you paid. So yeah you can then use that money to go rebuy the iphone either at the unsubsidized price or take it to apple to fix or swap out using the amex money.

14. jrlcopy thread starter macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

My BoA card actually has something similar, the non-points card. I was surprised when I called and asked, I had no idea. It was added after a few years after I got my card.

15. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I just got my AMEX like 4 weeks ago so I didn't get a chance to use it on my MBA...but you are right extended warranty is way better then a couple hundred miles hence why I have my AMEX out.

16. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Your link says it most likely won't be covered. Your own sources tell you you're wrong lol. So Amex ain't the way to go according to...well...you.

17. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

AMEX branded is not the same as bonafied amex. So USAA, BOA branded AMEX will not have the usual membership benefits, nor will your "member since" date be retroactive on amex branded cards. Hence unless you have bonafied amex you are not officially part of the amex family.

BUT you should still qualify for a zync. Not that its a super easy card to get, it just depends on the income and obviously your history. 50,000k seems to be a shoe in.

18. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I know they aren't the same thing. I had other reasons for getting the USAA branded one. But I read my member agreement it does the extended warranty thing on phones.

I could get a real AMEX card if I wanted to, my credit score is high enough and I make enough but I have enough credit cards and their cards don't offer anything so different from the ones i have that makes me want to get one.

19. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

Discover

If you have Discover card, don't forget to link through ShopDiscover to get 5% back AND it automatically doubles the warranty as well.

20. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Just reread my card agreement and sure enough cellphones are covered for the extended warranty even though its a AMEX from USAA

21. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

bummer.. no worries.. keep on paying your bills on time to build your credit and soon enough you'll get an amex