Reminder if you have a new phone coming soon to remove your old iPhone from your 2FA list on iCloud

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joe-h2o, Mar 27, 2016.

1. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

The thread about the stolen iPhone reminded me that when the new SE arrives I need to remove my old 5S from this list of devices that can approve two factor auth requests.

You might want to do this before you sell it on eBay or turn it in for trade.

2. Rigby macrumors 601

When you erase the phone (which you absolutely should before selling it), it will automatically be removed from the list of authorized devices.

3. Paco II macrumors 65816

Authorized, but it will still appear in your list of devices elsewhere. I wish apple would purge it from everywhere when doing a full erase.

4. Rigby macrumors 601

What list are you referring to? Erasing the phone should automatically remove it from Find my iPhone and from the device list in the iCloud settings. The only place that you may need to remove it manually from is the support profile (supportprofile.apple.com).

5. joe-h2o thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is good to know, thanks.

I was basing my assumptions on the problems with iMessages still being sent to iPhones you no longer used, but I guess that's all history now.

6. Paco II macrumors 65816

I believe it still will show at Appleid as well as iTunes.

7. Rigby macrumors 601

Well, it can't hurt to check to be sure.

PS: Confirmed: My old iPhone 5S still shows up in iTunes (but it was automatically deleted everwhere else except the support profile). No real harm, but it takes up one of the 10 permitted devices that are authorized for protected content.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 27, 2016 ---
    If you erase a phone, it will never receive iMessages (or any other messages or notifications) intended for the former owner.

The problem with iMessage is different but still exists: If you switch your phone number from an iPhone to a non-Apple phone without turning off iMessage or erasing the iPhone, it can happen that Apple's servers think the number is still associated with an iPhone. If another iPhone owner now sends a text to your number, it will send an iMessage instead of an SMS, which of course will never be delivered to the non-Apple phone. If that happens and you no longer have the iPhone, you can deregister your number manually: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage