Remington arms maker files for Bankruptcy, thanks to Trump.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Feb 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

200 year old Remington arms maker files for Bankruptcy, thanks to Trump.

Amazing as it seems, Trump has been terrible for firearms makers, and Remington in particular.

Not directly caused by Trump, he and is friend was strong factor.

I am not celebrating the troubles of this historic company, their products helped America defeat her enemies for over 200 years.

But I do find the grand irony of a gun company in financial trouble under a pro-gun administration and a "pro business" Republican and Trump friend.

2. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Remington has had financial problems for years, this is nothing new.

3. ericgtr12, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

The Obama years were great for Fox News, AM radio and the rabid right and as a result, the gun industry. Tales of Obama's Marxist troops marching down the streets to take your guys perpetuated by paranoid right wing media caused a faux fury like we had never seen. Yeah, those were some fun times!

Here's a little fun fact, only two federal gun laws changed under Obama:
    1) Open carry was allowed on Amtrak trains.
    2) Open carry was allowed in federal parks.

Edit: As pointed out, not open carry but allowed on transport.

Most of the fear mongering that goes on in this country is based out of pure ignorance and hyperbole.

4. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Nope. Firearms must be declared, unloaded, and in checked baggage. Similar to airline travel.

https://www.amtrak.com/firearms-in-checked-baggage

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/16/amtrak.guns/

5. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

6. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

No. Neither open or concealed carry is allowed on an Amtrak train. Just like an airplane.

Also, his claim that open carry is allowed in National Parks isn't entirely correct. Carrying a firearm in an NPS is based on state firearm laws where the National Park is located. If the state allows open carry, then you can open carry. Same with concealed carry in a park.

7. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Yep. Prior to that it was not checked at all. From your link above:

No matter how it's spun, this bill put the measure in place and legalized it.

8. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Spun? You're the one that claimed "Open carry was allowed on Amtrak trains"

lol

9. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I concede that point, correction noted.

10. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

11. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Not a problem, in another week or two we'll have another mass shooting and that will boost sales again. That's just how we roll here in the US.

12. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

This might help you with your other claim: "Open carry was allowed in federal parks."

13. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

The same way Obama caused the spike in sales. The same way Trump being elected caused a spike in the stock market.

14. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Not quite.

15. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

So you have no answer to defend the title. I understand.

16. 0007776 Suspended

Because the fact that there is a Republican President in office means that the gun nuts don’t have their irrational fear that the big bad democrats are coming to take their guns so they don’t feel a need to buy their 50th gun. That translates into lower sales which means hard times for gun makers.

17. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Good, because I wasn’t trying to defend the title. We’re on the same page. I don’t think Obama caused a spike (by rational folks), nor do I think Trump caused a dip (by rational people).

The post was about irony, which I DO agree with.

18. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

It says the same thing as the link I posted regarding state laws. A little different than OMGWTFBBQ "open carry in federal parks."

19. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

Anytime a gun maker goes bankrupt, it’s a good day in America. I guess this particular one didn’t make a fortune watching Americans murdered with their product on the daily basis.

Modern, civil society does not need guns outside of the military or law enforcement in my opinion, with the exception of carefully regulated hunting gear because I definitely support the hunting community.

20. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

And an artist and poet goes bankrupt; and a church, bookstore, and newspaper closes!

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'll be honest, I've yet to hear a conservative mourn for the loss of anything of the above. Conservatives seem to hate poetry, want to defund the arts, seem relatively uninterested in bookstores, and have pushed for the end of newspapers they don't like.

It's too bad about Remington, though it was clear they were doomed once Cerberus got involved with the historic company.

22. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I think it has less to do with Trump (or Obama or Hillary) and more to do with the fact that the investors saddled Reminington with a ton of debt. It may also be that under Obama (or Hillary) there was a fear that gun rights would be curtailed, so everyone who wanted to get a gun got one. Couple that with a more gun-friendly administration and demand gets pushed down.

Also, this is a Chapter 11 restructuring, not a Chapter 7 liquidation type of bankruptcy. People here frequently get these confused. Remington will stay in business while it restructures it's debt.

If the military budget goes up considerably, maybe they can make a big purchase! :D

23. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Republican president combined with

means they had no real hope.

24. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Last line in OP
    "
    But I do find the grand irony of a gun company in financial trouble under a pro-gun administration and a "pro business" Republican and Trump friend.
    "

Do you think if Hillary was elected then sales would continue to decline and Remington still go BR?
    Although Trump did not directly cause Remington to seek Ch 11, his presence caused an already mismanaged company to go under.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2018 ---
    Exactly, yet the pro-business, pro-gun Trump still played a factor that pushed a gun maker over the edge.
    And of course Trump keeps touting job growth, yet in last few months retail closures and mfg layoffs are being more ominous.

Other gun makers are struggling, so I wonder who is next?

25. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

What is bankrupt is that logic.