Reminiscing of the iPhone (2007-current)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saving107, Nov 2, 2012.

1. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The other day I was having a conversation with some of my friends and to them, their first iPhone was the iPhone 4 and during our conversation I was telling of how things used to be. A lot of the stuff they were unaware of and I'm sure their are a lot of new iPhone users who have no idea of how things began.

I've owned the iPhone since it launched on June 30, 2007 and can remember the days before Cut+Copy+Paste, MMS, Video recording, Multitasking, iTunes over WiFi (could not access iTunes of cellular) App Store.

The iPhone has come along way, and even before I was a member of MacRumors I was always browsing these forums have watched them grow in popularity, I have read all the comments/complaints of people, my favorite have been the posts of people asking for a front facing camera, Apple releases FaceTime and people then post "whats the point of a front camera, I never use it" with my least favorite being years of the same "battery draining issues" threads, but all around its a very fascinating forum.

I was curious if anyone had any stories of their favorite Hardware feature (design, retina display etc...), OS feature past or current that they miss or like, even something about this forum and how it has evolved.

My favorite hardware design is still the first iPhone, the build quality of Aluminum+Glass is still my favorite combination. The iPhone 5 reminds me a lot of my first iPhone. But I so glad that the OS has progressed to allow us to send more than 1 message at a time without having the keyboard grey out with a 'Sending' status, and to allow us to attach a photo or video. Multitasking to allow Pandora in the background was so nice to finally get.

2. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I didn't have the first iPhone, but I had the first iPod touch... I did know someone who got the iPhone at the same time. I thought that both devices were absolutely incredible and straight from the future.

I've since had the 3GS onwards (plus a couple of Android phones that I avoid mentioning to people :p ) and it amazing how much the iOS experience has evolved over the years, despite how little people actually seem to appreciate it these days.

I think that Apple has progressed the OS at a slow and steady rate, adding things in (arguably) the best way possible, perhaps excluding the recent Maps*. For example, multi-tasking; yeah, it's not 'true' multi-tasking, but it sure helps maintain decent battery life in a big way.

The hardware, in my opinion, has been even more impressive and exciting. The biggest leap for me was the iPhone 4 (IPS, 326 ppi Retina :eek:), although I absolutely adore my iPhone 5 now.

*I've personally found Apple's Maps to be great, although I do understand why many people are frustrated with it.

3. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I had a gen 1 or 2 iPod Touch when it released, I was in 6th or 7th grade. I jailbroke it and everything, those were the days, when the biggest complaints were "lol no copy cut or pasting" and "you can't send pics". When I graduated in 2009 on june something I got the iPhone 3G and that thing was so cool. In fact I still have the box, I'm looking at it right now. I also jailbroke that. Then when I remembered I was eligible for an upgrade in July 2011 I upgraded to the white iphone 4 and that was like a whole new experience. I loved the flash and front facing camera and multi-tasking. The 4 has been my loyal baby for a year and a few months, we've had so many journey's.
    Then I got the 5 on a different carrier. Not much has changed. If I could I would go back to a jailbroken iPhone 4. The core of iOS still remains the same throughout all these years no matter how many features they add and that's why I love it.

4. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

The iP5 is leaps and bounds above my original iP, which I just retired back to its box. The iPhone has come a long way since its introduction in 2007. I can still remember CNET mentioning Apple's possible venture in to the world of cellular phones back in 2003.

In general, the cellular phone industry has improved 100 fold since the 1980s.

5. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

You can't say with a straight face that Apple didn't reinvent the smartphone market. Pretty much every smartphone released after that is trying to be an iPhone killer.

6. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

You know, back in the day, all the way back to 2007, we didn't have fancy copy and paste, or 3G, we had edge and a keyboard, and we were happy dammit!

I'm (unfortunately) old enough to remember the world before cell phones, or even cordless phones. And, like Pink says in The Wall, we had 13 channels of $h*t on the TV to choose from. :)

Things certainly HAVE come a long way.

7. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

I bought an iPod touch 2nd gen when it came out. I wasn't really a cellphone-type back then (just a few minutes and maximum 100 texts per month) so I thought: "Why would anybody buy this phone, if you can get an iPod touch for much less!" (how naive of me!).
    2010 I finally decided (after owning an Samsung featurephone for one year) to move to an smartphone. The ip4 was not out yet (and back than I didn't even know WWDC existed) so I decided that the HTC Desire was much better and Android was so advanced and that iOS doesn't offer any advantage (how stupid of me!)
    Time past and I bough all my beloved Apple stuff (Macbook Pro, Apple TV, dozen of iPods) and whenever my parents or friends needed some new tech stuff I helped them decide.
    Now my dad owns an iPad, so does my mum. She bought an iPhone 4s and loves it. My gf got an MBP half a year after me and me sisters boyfriend fell in love with our Apple equipment (Now he owns an Ip4 and a MBA)

The only thing that is missing is my iPhone 5!
    Really looking forward to it :)

8. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

In 2007 I was still in highschool and didn't even know what an iPhone was, I thought the Motorola Razr was the coolest phone :D

9. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Did I convey something contrary to your comment?

10. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Nope just adding on to it.

11. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

My first iPhone was the 4, but I got an iPod touch 2G in 2008.

I remember being amazed with it. SJ was right when he said phone browsers were painful to use. My Sony Ericsson feature phone at the time was awful. I was amazed with Safari on iPhone OS 2. My work at the time had wifi, and I could browse actual websites from the toilet and they looked exactly like they should. It was a Number 2 revolution. (tmi?)

12. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

lmao that was on a simpsons episode where homer had to talk to 3 other husbands while marge got together again with their wifes and one of the husbands said "this page isn't optimized for mobile phones yet... wait damn it homer why the hell am I talking to you"
    homer - "because you're my best friend :("

13. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

My first iOS device was the original iPod Touch 2g (not the revised version that came out with the 3rd gen). One of my favorite (and highly overlooked features is push notifications. It was such a groundbreaking feature for the time, to do that was incredible. They are so unappreciated nowadays.

14. saving107 thread starter macrumors 603

saving107

I think the first Jailbreak project was released in August 2007, those were the days of Jailbreaking before the App Store. I remember having a lot of during the early stages.

Custom Tones was another one for me that was like "Finally, hallelujah "

15. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

yeah the app store came out with the iPhone 3G, but I definitely had the app store so I think it was a second gen. Man the iPod touches were so lame compared to the iPhone lol