Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Seriously, I was going to buy VPC but then I saw RDC for free from Microsoft. I though I would give it a go and WOW! Was I ever impressed.

My network admin gave me the settings, and now I just connect to the PC at the office. All my apps and the network drives are available. The responsiveness is incredible! Its only a fraction of a second slower than actually being there. I ran Ofiice, Dreamweaver MX and a few other apps. Awesome.

I am very happy.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Yeah, the RDC protocol is very lightweight.

The only problem with the Mac RDC client is that it only supports one connection at a time. For people like myself, we have to close and reconnect to another server. Ack. :(

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
They have one but it cost$$$

They should a free basic client for regular mac users. You don't have to be a server admin to get some use from these tools.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
on microsoft's site they list that you need windows xp professional...
why is this when xp home has rdc too?

reality

p.s. does it work both ways i.e. mac to pc or pc to mac?

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
The machine being connected to needs to run XP Pro. Its one of the differences between the Home and Pro versions.

Of course, I have two PCs both with Home - so I can not connect to my home machines. But work only buys the Pro version, so I can connect to my WinXP Pro work machine using RDC on my Mac.

You can download RDC clients for all MS operating systems free at MS. The Mac version is on Mactopia.

Maybe the Apple equivalent would allow a PC to access a Mac. I don't know. Doesn't look like it.

http://www.apple.com/ca/remotedesktop/

JupiterZen

macrumors regular
Originally posted by tomf87
Yeah, the RDC protocol is very lightweight.

The only problem with the Mac RDC client is that it only supports one connection at a time. For people like myself, we have to close and reconnect to another server. Ack. :(

Just make a copy of the actual application in the finder and launch it ... now you have two ... make as many copies as you need connections

;-)

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
i'd avoid ms software and use vnc (i seem to recall a nasty crash bug with the RDC on dual processor machines). if you just can't live without RDC, rdesktop can do most of it from X11.app.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I use Apple's Remote Desktop between my Power Mac & 20th Anniversary Mac .. it makes a good remote control :D but it can be S~L~O~W~ ..even over a 100Mbit network connection.. and I don't know if/how it works over the internet

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
i'd avoid ms software and use vnc (i seem to recall a nasty crash bug with the RDC on dual processor machines). if you just can't live without RDC, rdesktop can do most of it from X11.app.

I'd just like to point out that they've fixed that bug in the current version of RDC.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
I think people are getting two products mixed up. There is Apple's Remote Desktop to control a Mac. Then there's Microsoft's Remote Desktop to control Windows XP Pro/2000/2003 products.

This program is very lightweight, waaaayyyy faster than VNC ever thought it could be, and stable. I use mine all the time. You could use rdesktop or the like, but the RDC is such a small package. The main difference between VNC and RDC is that RDC allows multiple logins with multiple desktops, like a terminal server. VNC only controls the console.

By the way, (sorry forgot to quote the block) thanks to the suggestion to whomever for just copying the RDC app. How dumb was I not to think of that in the first place?!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.