Remote Desktop to another Mac

MrSpock75

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Düsseldorf, Germany
Hi all,

What tool(s) are you using to remotely connect to another macOS device e.g. Mac mini ?
I want to use the new Mac mini as a "server" and connect to it via my MBP.

So once the Mac mini is installed, I do not want to use a separate monitor or keyboard with it.
Just RPD into it like to my Windows Server which will soon die, once the mini arrives ;-)

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
Hi all,

What tool(s) are you using to remotely connect to another macOS device e.g. Mac mini ?

So once the Mac mini is installed, I do not want to use a separate monitor or keyboard with it.
Just RPD into it like to my Windows Server which will soon die, once the mini arrives ;-)
If everything is on the same network, you don't need anything more than turning on Screen Sharing in System Preferences and then use the built-in Screen Sharing client on the other Mac.

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Mr. Spock...I use screens too. You don’t need it if your two machines are always on the same network. But if they are not, Screens helps your “remote” Mac find and connect to your home Mac very seamlessly. It’s well worth the small price.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Hi all,

It depends on why you need to connect and what you need to do.

In the office/gallery, I have a workstation at my desk and two print servers elsewhere in the room and also two other Macs in the gallery that I ocassionally need to "deal with". Everything is on the same local network. I've turned on both file sharing and screen sharing on the "remote" computers. I use Screen Sharing to remotely control the remote machines, managing apps and settings on those machines. I also use simple network file sharing when I need to move files between my workstation and the remote machines or between two different remote machines. Different tools for different tasks, but all native macOS functions.

I use TeamViewer for remote control when I need to do it across the internet.

ktcifone

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2009
macOS uses vnc protocol for screen sharing so any compatible client should work.

if im off my home network chrome remote desktop works great.

Last edited:

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Screens for iOS is awesome for an iOS device (local or remote). Worth the cost of the app, IMO. But if you're on the same network at home and are connecting from Mac to Mac, Screen Sharing works great and is free. I use a combination of both.

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
I use Screens and it's great because it retains all the the UX features you know and love. Sometimes I have trouble getting into the home computer. However, ZeroTeir has solved all of those problems, it allows my MBP to act like it's on my home network, even when I'm on the road.

I also have TeamViewer installed just in case Screens fails for some reason.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2011
I use the built-in Screen Sharing to access my Mac mini via my MacBook Air. It is amazingly simple to use. If you're on the same wifi network, and have it enabled in Settings, it just works.

I use VNC Viewer to access the Mac mini via my iPhone/iPad. It was slightly less simple, but it still works.

I also use an app on my Mac mini called Display Menu to instantly adjust the resolution to match whatever I'm using, whether it's my TV, MBA, etc. Since it's connected via HDMI to my receiver, and the TV is not always on, it often defaults to the ugly 1280x1024 resolution. Then going into Settings does not give me any options, since Screen Sharing doesn't recognize the clients as a display I guess? I dunno. But the Display Menu app is a fantastic solution that problem. Very simple. It just adds a dropdown menu to the top right of your menu bar, with a list of resolutions, regardless of any displays you have connected. Click one, and it changes instantly. So awesome.

Last edited:

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
I have been doing with my Mac Mini server/HTPC since 2012...exactly as others said...use screen sharing. To get the full resolution on your laptop when your big screen is off, you'll need a video emulator device.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2011
I have been doing with my Mac Mini server/HTPC since 2012...exactly as others said...use screen sharing. To get the full resolution on your laptop when your big screen is off, you'll need a video emulator device.
No you don't, you can just use the app I mentioned above. Display Menu. It lets you switch the resolution instantly from a simple dropdown menu, regardless if the main display is on or off.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
No you don't, you can just use the app I mentioned above. Display Menu. It lets you switch the resolution instantly from a simple dropdown menu, regardless if the main display is on or off.
So, are you saying with no HDMI cable plugged in that you'll get the scaled option...if so, then I don't think that's true!

DDustiNN

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2011
So, are you saying with no HDMI cable plugged in that you'll get the scaled option...if so, then I don't think that's true!
Yes, I'm telling you, you can just select a resolution. Mine often defaults to a low resolution when no display is detected. Then I just use Screen Sharing to connect, and select a nice resolution. It's perfect.

Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 8.35.38 PM.png

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
Yes, I'm telling you, you can just select a resolution. Mine often defaults to a low resolution when no display is detected. Then I just use Screen Sharing to connect, and select a nice resolution. It's perfect.

View attachment 805337
Wow...that display app...is it a third party app? I have been using an emulator since Yosemite or before that. I also use VNC on my iPad. Just checked out that app in the App Store...thank you DDustiNN for sharing!

Last edited: