Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Anyone have any ideas on how to fix an iOS 8 personal hostspot issue. I have an iPhone 6 running iOS 8.0.2 and an iPad Air also running IOS 8.0.2.

On the iPad I see my name listed under personal hotspots but when I chose it I am never connected. Eventually I received the error "Remote Hotspot Error". What's weird is that the name that appears in the wifi name is my full name and not the name that appears under General > About > Name.

This is the zero configure hostpot functionality that is suppose to be part of Hand Off and not the carrier hotspot stuff.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Exact same issue. iPhone 6 on Verizon with personal hotspot enabled. I can't get it to do wifi tethering with my iPad Air. I've tried everything, resetting settings, DFU restore of both units, etc.

You can do Bluetooth tethering but it is driving me crazy that the wifi tethering just doesn't work.

EDIT: I think it is some kind of failure of the quick hotspot feature. If you turn your normal iPhone hotspot feature on and then add it via "other" network (use the name of the phone, security is WPA2, and use the PW on the iPhone screen) then it will connect.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Exact same issue. iPhone 6 on Verizon with personal hotspot enabled. I can't get it to do wifi tethering with my iPad Air. I've tried everything, resetting settings, DFU restore of both units, etc.

You can do Bluetooth tethering but it is driving me crazy that the wifi tethering just doesn't work.

EDIT: I think it is some kind of failure of the quick hotspot feature. If you turn your normal iPhone hotspot feature on and then add it via "other" network (use the name of the phone, security is WPA2, and use the PW on the iPhone screen) then it will connect.

I think I'm in the same situation as you. If I go into Settings > Personal Hotspot and turn it on. I can connect from to the hotspot from my iPad once I enter a password.

However I can't get the "instant hotspot" functionality to work. From everything I read your phone does not need to be on wifi for the instant hot spot to work.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Ok with some persistence I was able to get it to work. I had to reset "all settings". To be honest I really don't know what "all settings" exactly means but it seem to do the trick. Previously I had tried to just reset network settings but that didn't work.

However BE WARNED. From this macrumors new story https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1792939/ about reseting all settings also deletes iCloud drive data.

BTW It looks all the instant hotspot does is turn on the hotspot functionality we had in previous iOS versions. This one just doesn't make you enter a password who connecting to the hotspot wifi network.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Interestingly when I did reset all settings last night it didn't delete my iWork data. But anyway, yeah it's the instant hotspot part that is failing I think. I can connect to my phone hotspot with any other device or computer without an issue, it's just devices using continuity that have a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.