Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rollindts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
So heres whats going on - I installed the Installer 3.0b8 (from jailbreakme.com) on a iPhone thats running the 1.0.1 firmware.. Only installed a couple apps but they didnt really seem to work correctly.. realized that 3.0b8 is for 1.1.1 firmware which i havent updated to yet.

My QUESTION IS.. Should i restore the phone (to remove Installer) BEFORE updating my firmware to 1.1.1? I want to avoid bricking my iphone but want to update the firmware and use the Installer 3.0b8. Has anyone done this?

BTW - I am a AT&T customer and my account is legit - i have not unlocked the phone or anything.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
How were you planning to upgrade to 1.1.1? If you do it through iTunes, Installer is removed anyway. This would be the easiest route. Then go back to jailbreakme.com and you're in business.

rollindts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
through itunes - and that sounds like what i want to have happen. i just didnt want to start updating my firmware then have it brick since installer 3.0b8 is on there (which was intended for 1.1.1)..

i tried reading through as many posts and articles as possible.. i felt like i was reading alot of old information.. but found no one that had installed that version of installer on 1.0.1 firmware.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
through itunes - and that sounds like what i want to have happen. i just didnt want to start updating my firmware then have it brick since installer 3.0b8 is on there (which was intended for 1.1.1)..

i tried reading through as many posts and articles as possible.. i felt like i was reading alot of old information.. but found no one that had installed that version of installer on 1.0.1 firmware.
1.1.1 is a pretty radical, file system wise. The 1.0.1 fw will be largely overwritten. You should have no problems. Bricking seems to happen mostly while trying to unlock, or jailbreak with the older 47 step installations.

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
Just do it Problems arise only when you have messed with the baseband (ie Unlocking) but if not, you just lose the Installer app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.