Removal of Vindman from NSC right before Veteran's Day

LizKat

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
The right talks about the impeachment as a coup... meanwhile inside the White House, Trump has his new NSA O'Brien running a little coup of his own (or at Trump's direction?) at the NSC...

From a report at TPM of a Face the Nation interview of O'Brien today:

The national security adviser said Vindman, who currently serves as the council’s Director for European Affairs, will be removed as a part of the White House’s “streamlining” efforts.
“My understanding is he’s–that Colonel Vindman is detailed from the Department of Defense,” O’Brien said. “So everyone who’s detailed at the NSC, people are going to start going back to their own departments and we’ll bring in new folks.”
When Brennan asked O’Brien to confirm that the decision is not retaliation against Vindman, whom Trump has baselessly accused of being a “Never Trumper,” the national security adviser’s response was that he personally had never retaliated against anyone.”

Note taken of careful use of word "personally" there. Well anyway, there's a novel way for an administration to commemorate Veterans' Day. Fire some vets off the NSC just before the solemn holiday.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The right talks about the impeachment as a coup... meanwhile inside the White House, Trump has his new NSA O'Brien running a little coup of his own (or at Trump's direction?) at the NSC...

From a report at TPM of a Face the Nation interview of O'Brien today:

The national security adviser said Vindman, who currently serves as the council’s Director for European Affairs, will be removed as a part of the White House’s “streamlining” efforts.
“My understanding is he’s–that Colonel Vindman is detailed from the Department of Defense,” O’Brien said. “So everyone who’s detailed at the NSC, people are going to start going back to their own departments and we’ll bring in new folks.”
When Brennan asked O’Brien to confirm that the decision is not retaliation against Vindman, whom Trump has baselessly accused of being a “Never Trumper,” the national security adviser’s response was that he personally had never retaliated against anyone.”

Note taken of careful use of word "personally" there. Well anyway, there's a novel way for an administration to commemorate Veterans' Day. Fire some vets off the NSC just before the solemn holiday.
Removed for doing his sworn duty. Also - those who keep insisting that the WB be named, keep in mind the vindictiveness of this administration.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Removed for doing his sworn duty. Also - those who keep insisting that the WB be named, keep in mind the vindictiveness of this administration.
No kidding.

I wonder if Trump will be challenged about this particular removal as an abuse of power. I suppose the Democrats would prefer to keep on trying to keep it simple and so move the impeachment process to the Judiciary Committee as soon as possible.

Still, just another instance of at least a misuse of power, let's say. I mean Trump has had three years to "realign" and "streamline" the NSC if he wanted to do that. But no, he suddenly decides to do it right after members of his own administration including at the NSC testify under oath to his abuses of power regarding the Ukraine. Seriously, he takes us all for idiots if we don't even remark on it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
No kidding.

I wonder if Trump will be challenged about this particular removal as an abuse of power. I suppose the Democrats would prefer to keep on trying to keep it simple and so move the impeachment process to the Judiciary Committee as soon as possible.

Still, just another instance of at least a misuse of power, let's say. I mean Trump has had three years to "realign" and "streamline" the NSC if he wanted to do that. But no, he suddenly decides to do it right after members of his own administration including at the NSC testify under oath to his abuses of power regarding the Ukraine. Seriously, he takes us all for idiots if we don't even remark on it.
No - he's been enabled and emboldened by Republicans turning a blind eye. I keep asking - when did Republicans stop believing in the rule of law?

LizKat

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
No - he's been enabled and emboldened by Republicans turning a blind eye. I keep asking - when did Republicans stop believing in the rule of law?

As soon as it became apparent the only way to maintain an advantage would have nothing to do with an honest ballot box because the platforms had skewed the demographics they could rely on against them as far as legislative majorities were concerned, and made the White House a dicey bet as well.

These guys in the GOP depend now on packing the courts and otherwise brazening it out in propaganda-style media tactics, the spin machine gone Orwellian. But it would seem to me that draft-dodger Trump dissing a decorated military veteran over the Veterans Day weekend after he testified under oath about presidential misbehavior is a pretty tall order for the best of spin machines. I could be wrong, I've been wrong about a lot of things I figured the GOP couldn't iron out in front of a Fox News camera... there must be some vet out there who thinks Vindman is a double agent and is willing to come on camera tomorrow morning at Fox and say so. And there's probably someone at Fox making enough phone calls to find that vet right about now.

Reactions: VulchR and samcraig

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
As soon as it became apparent the only way to maintain an advantage would have nothing to do with an honest ballot box because the platforms had skewed the demographics they could rely on against them as far as legislative majorities were concerned, and made the White House a dicey bet as well.

These guys in the GOP depend now on packing the courts and otherwise brazening it out in propaganda-style media tactics, the spin machine gone Orwellian. But it would seem to me that draft-dodger Trump dissing a decorated military veteran over the Veterans Day weekend after he testified under oath about presidential misbehavior is a pretty tall order for the best of spin machines. I could be wrong, I've been wrong about a lot of things I figured the GOP couldn't iron out in front of a Fox News camera... there must be some vet out there who thinks Vindman is a double agent and is willing to come on camera tomorrow morning at Fox and say so. And there's probably someone at Fox making enough phone calls to find that vet right about now.
I miss the days when we could largely object to policies instead of objecting to such cowardice and poor behavior of the Republican party. Not to say Dems are squeaky clean. But in regards to Trump, it's amazing the lengths that old guard (especially) Republicans are letting this continue. Some legacy...

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
So the interesting thing now will be, do repubs try to paint Vindman as a disgruntled former employee who was fired & is testifying?

Because that will open an interesting new door, when it's asked why was he fired. REALLY fired.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
So the interesting thing now will be, do repubs try to paint Vindman as a disgruntled former employee who was fired & is testifying?

Because that will open an interesting new door, when it's asked why was he fired. REALLY fired.
Biased and disgruntled former employees are still subject to perjury - so trying to discredit them is expected but likely futile.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Biased and disgruntled former employees are still subject to perjury - so trying to discredit them is expected but likely futile.
Which I get.

But he was fired, after testifying behind closed doors, and before open testimony.

That can't look good, especially a vet who was doing a job he was asked to do, but his family didn't want him to.

Then again, he was fired by a guy who rips on a Gold Star family & criticizes captured Vets, so optics probably isn't much of an issue.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Which I get.

But he was fired, after testifying behind closed doors, and before open testimony.

That can't look good, especially a vet who was doing a job he was asked to do, but his family didn't want him to.

Then again, he was fired by a guy who rips on a Gold Star family & criticizes captured Vets, so optics probably isn't much of an issue.
Oh no - I wasn't arguing against your point. I'm just referring to the fact that Republicans and Trump supporters are going to act as if these people testifying are just going to lie to congress as if they had no integrity or fear of perjury. WITCH HUNT!