Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006

I remember reading about this issue somewhere else, but cannot find that info any more.

What I'm trying to do is remove Safari icon from my Dock for GOOD.

Every time I drag the icon out of my Dock, it gets removed. However, every single time I reboot my mac, the icon comes back to the same spot in my Dock.

My Safari app is in Application folder. I tried rebuilding the dock.plist but after the file rebuild, the icon comes back upon restart.

Has anyone found a remedy for this issue?

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Have you tried control-clicking, 'remove from dock' ? I did that the first day i got my mac, Safari hasn't come back once :)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Osarkon said:
Have you tried control-clicking, 'remove from dock' ? I did that the first day i got my mac, Safari hasn't come back once :)

Clicking remove from dock or dragging it off the dock should remove it. The OP already tried dragging it off the dock. Not sure why it's not staying off on a reboot.

Does a new account have the same behavior?

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
when you reboot is safari opened or just in the dock. (is there a black arrow under the icon in the dock?) If so, I assume if you look in your system preferences under the accounts icon, then select the "log-in" items tab you will see safari on that?? To get rid of it select safari, then the - sign to remove it.

That is the only reason it should be returning that I know of.

zen69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Osarkon: Yes, I have tried CTR clicking as well - same result.

SilentPanda: I only have one account right now - I will create a new account and see if the same behavior occurs.

Just as a sidenote, when I logged off the current user and logged back in the Safari icon came back on to the Dock!

flyfish29: Safari hasn't been under log-in item in my system pref. When I reboot, the icon just reappears in the Dock and no app launches.

zen69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
SilentPanda: I only have one account right now - I will create a new account and see if the same behavior occurs.

I created a new test account and tried removing the safari icon from Dock. It gets removed and stays removed even after a reboot.

So, it seems this is an issue related to a specific account - some corrupted file permissions maybe? I have been running Disk Utilities time to time and repairing file permissions so I'm not sure where else to look. Are there any other plist files I can try rebuilding?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
does this have anything to do with PRAM? someone with more experience might be able to provide a better explanation as to why this could be a PRAM issue... i just know that PRAM affects startup actions - whether or not the dock is included in that category i'm unsure.

nagshay1818

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2006
I don't know what the deal could be. Maybe you have Safari to "open at Login." This might keep it there.

chasingapple

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2004
Just give up, your account is haunted by Apple. They refuse to let you move onto a better browser ;)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Here's my wild stab at it. In Safari preferences, is Safari set as your default browser?

zen69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
rdowns: Yes, I thought about it too - but no, it's not been set to be the default browser in its preference.

chasingapple: It's not like I'm deciding whether or not to use Safari now - I'm using FF 100% and no Safari - Apples just doesn't know it :D

Not that I will actually spend more time on this, but what would it take to create another accont that looks just like my current account (minus dock pref) from first scratch?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
zen69 said:
I tried rebuilding the dock.plist but after the file rebuild, the icon comes back upon restart.
What do you mean by "rebuilding the dock.plist"?

Have you tried removing/renaming/deleting the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist and then restarted the Dock ('killall Dock' in terminal, Log out and back in or simply restart)?

Edit: You could also take out /Library/Preferences/com.apple.dockfixup.plist for good measure... that seems to have an add-app property...

zen69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Removing com.apple.dock.plist had no effect, but removing com.apple.dockfixup.plist seems to have done the trick.

Safari icon's not showing up after a few times of restarting - looks like I'm all good for now (maybe until I install a new OS update/security udpate from Apple :D)

Thanks to all who took time to read & respond to this thread. I haven't been in such an active forum lately, so I'm very glad to be a part of one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.