Removing sold iMac from iCloud Find My iPhone?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by ravenvii, Dec 29, 2013.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I sold an iMac a couple of months ago, and just noticed that there's an iMac on my Devices list in Find My iPhone. The iMac isn't named (my name)'s iMac, but named (someone else's name)'s iMac.

I erased my iMac and installed Snow Leopard on it prior to shipping it. So why does it keep showing up in my Devices list? I removed it from my account, but it reappeared. How is that possible? And how do I remove it permanently?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Did you check your iCloud Account at the Apple site My Apple ID to see the computers/iOS devices connected?

3. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Where would you find this 'connected devices' you speak of?

If you meant trusted devices (under security and password), those are for two-step verification, and hence are only iOS devices, not OS X devices.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

My bad. I was thinking of the email addresses you want to use. You can add Aliases if you like. Plus did you unhinge you device from the iTunes music Store? Launch the iTunes Store and use the menu item 'Store' and 'View Account' and 'Mange Your Devices' from there.

5. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have 0 authorized devices on iTunes. Only two devices are associated to my iTunes account (both are iOS devices). No Macs.

6. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

I always change my password to iTunes..and the Apple store..

7. imejh macrumors member

imejh

Did you go to iCloud.com and remove the device from the Find my iPhone app on the website?

8. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yes. First thing I did. It reappeared.

9. Bear macrumors G3

Change the password for your iCloud account. And then remove the iMac again.

10. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Okay, went and did that (thank god for 1Password!).

Hopefully that iMac stays gone.

11. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Nope. Came right back.

12. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

In case someone finds this thread searching for a solution:

The seller must send remotely erase the Mac (this would not work otherwise). Find My iPhone will require you to set a passcode to lock the Mac -- set it to something easy, like 1111. Give this number to the buyer so he/she can unlock the Mac.

***REMINDER: PLEASE contact the buyer PRIOR to doing this! As above, this ERASES the hard drive. So please let the buyer know and give him/her a chance to back up any data prior to you sending the remote erase signal.

The buyer will then use the passcode to unlock the Mac and reinstall the OS. Then -- this is important -- set up iCloud on the Mac and turn Find My Mac ON. This will link your Mac to your iCloud ID and unlink it from the seller's.

***NOTE: As far as I can tell, this will not work if the seller has not remotely erased the Mac first.