Removing the sound of a truck from my GB audio :)

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by TaraW, Jan 24, 2012.

1. TaraW macrumors newbie

I'm recording voice-only audios from a program I'm creating and they really rock. Totally great, impromptu content that I couldn't possibly rerecord.

I'm saying that because I noticed in relistening to them that there are a few big, rumbly truck sounds in the background. :(

I tried the noise gate and it did about squat. Is there some way to isolate the background noise track (?) and minimize it that way?

Again, rerecording is not an option so I'm open to just about any other idea of how I can minimize the background noise.

And for future reference, is there a way to prevent this while recording? A particular mic or setting perhaps? (I recorded on "female radio noisy".)

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you could try a high-pass filter. if the low rumble of the truck doesn't overlap the voice, you're in business.

3. TaraW thread starter macrumors newbie

4. dj-anon macrumors member

dj-anon

Normally when I'm approached to remove "background noise" from any recording, it is actually ambient noise that suddenly became very foreground. So I will assume your case is the same and tell you that there is little you can do about it.

iZotope RX is the best thing you can find to deal with unwanted sound.

If you want to avoid such an expense, try some quality lavaliere microphones.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i mean frequency-wise. not sure that was clear. i understand that they occur at the same time.

6. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

This is what I would do... It should work if there is no frequency overlap. If not, you're probably out of luck.

7. TaraW thread starter macrumors newbie

Aaah, yes I did misunderstand. Thank you for coming back to clarify!

I'm not sure how to even answer the original question then. Is the high-pass filter a feature in GB that I could try or an add-on/separate software/etc?

dj-anon, thanks for the feedback. I'll look into both as well. I was using the mic on my MacBook because I couldn't figure out how to get the external mic I have (not a high quality one at all though) to even work. Looks like it'll be a good investment though, just based on how much time this is going to cost me. :rolleyes: