Removing the stand for new 27" iMac and carrying it in laggue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by yusahakan, Apr 2, 2013.

1. yusahakan macrumors newbie

Dear all,

I have a weird question.

I am thinking to buy new 27" iMac however, i might need to carry it in my luggage for overseas. Do you have any experience about it?

and is it easy to remove the stand?

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. yusahakan thread starter macrumors newbie

so you are saying that if I buy with stand, I cannot remove it?

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, as far as I can see, the 2012 iMacs lack that ability, though this post here confuses me a bit.

5. 808? macrumors 6502a

Why not just carry it in its original box.

You can check that in as a piece of luggage.

6. yusahakan thread starter macrumors newbie

that's a pretty good idea however, it is too big to check in. exceed max size.

7. 808? macrumors 6502a

So how do you plan to take it as luggage if it already exceeds maximum size?

The shipping box is not much bigger than its actual size.

8. karpich1 macrumors regular

It will probably be more trouble than it's worth.

Most airports I've been at require you to take the device out of the bad and put it on a tray that goes through the scanner / x-ray machine. Even if it's buried in your carry-on luggage.

And I don't think those trays are big enough for a 27" screen

Also, I recall going SOMEWHERE they wanted me to actually power on the device. It was maybe 3-5 years ago (I forget where) so I don't know if that place still has that requirement. But if places still ask for that... powering on a laptop (via battery) is much less of a hassle than finding a plug to power up the iMac.

So your only real alternative is to pack it in your checked luggage, and I don't know how safe that's going to be.

9. MacFro macrumors member

Unless you need to transport it often, i would pay a little extra to transfer in the original box (in disguise maybe). At least then you would know that it is properly protected.

If you go for a vesa mount you would still need to bring an extra stand, which would defeat the purpose of that option i guess.

Or you could just go for the obvious alternative... a macbook pro :) Maybe with a foldable stand and extra keyboard/mouse if you want that stationary experience.

10. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

If you are going to be traveling often, I would recommend investing in a case, like the Peli Storm iM2875 case with foam and custom fit it for the iMac dimensions.