Removing underside of 2010 MBP 17" - pop sound when removing/putting on cover-normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itwasepic, Jun 30, 2010.

1. itwasepic macrumors newbie

So as an extension to my question regarding RAM utilization, I've decided to upgrade my RAM.

I went through the process of removing the underside of my MBP. After taking the screws out and mentally marking which slot they came out of (some are of different size), I pulled the lid up at the black trim area (the "neck" of the display mount) as this was the easiest way to get a non-damaging grip on the metal underside -- read: I avoided using a screw driver on the lid.

As I started to lift, I was surprised at the amount of force I needed to use in order to remove the lid; something near the center of the cover was still holding the lid to the underside of the body. In fact, the amount of force I needed to use made me pause to question if I missed an important step other than simply removing the screws. I decided to "go for it" and applied more pressure while pulling the lid up and away from the body and heard a "pop" noise. Everything looked ok.

Later, I put the lid back on and screwed the pieces together. When I picked up the laptop, placing my hand near the center of the underside, I heard another "Pop" as if the lid was popping back into place in the same area where it popped to get the lid off/removed.

So the long and the short of this post is: I take it this is normal? Anyone else also witness this?