Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
I know that in iTunes to change the information on a track you can do it all from info. Title, artist, album... But for some reason, this one song will not change. I've changed a thousand tracks and this one will not budge. No details will change. In fact, it will change for right up to the time I click on it for anything else... it'll just revert back to its old info (which is wrong!). It really bothers me. Anyone know how to fix this?

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
dorqiekat said:
I know that in iTunes to change the information on a track you can do it all from info. Title, artist, album... But for some reason, this one song will not change. I've changed a thousand tracks and this one will not budge. No details will change. In fact, it will change for right up to the time I click on it for anything else... it'll just revert back to its old info (which is wrong!). It really bothers me. Anyone know how to fix this?
Some possibilities are that the file is locked for writing (do a Get Info on it in the Finder), or that it contains multiple sets of tags (a different version) that are interfering. Try using Convert ID3 Tags... on the song from the Advanced menu. Did you get the song from the iTMS or rip it from a CD, or is it downloaded from Limewire or whatever? Downloaded songs often have some other tags already set, which may be of varying formats or versions.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
HiRez said:
Some possibilities are that the file is locked for writing (do a Get Info on it in the Finder), or that it contains multiple sets of tags (a different version) that are interfering. Try using Convert ID3 Tags... on the song from the Advanced menu. Did you get the song from the iTMS or rip it from a CD, or is it downloaded from Limewire or whatever? Downloaded songs often have some other tags already set, which may be of varying formats or versions.

I don't know what you mean by using Conver ID3 Tags. I found it on iTunes... but then what? I want to say that the song is from a CD because I have the CD, but since I don't have the whole CD on iTunes it could be downloaded...

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I would try selecting the song, choose Convert ID3 Tags... from the Advanced menu, check the box and choose the latest version (which I think is 2.4). Then try to change the song title again. That may not be your problem at all, but it's worth trying.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
HiRez said:
I would try selecting the song, choose Convert ID3 Tags... from the Advanced menu, check the box and choose the latest version (which I think is 2.4). Then try to change the song title again. That may not be your problem at all, but it's worth trying.
This is a good suggestion. FWIW, supposedly iTunes prefers ID3V2.3.

Another possibility, assuming ti was ripped in iTunes, is to use the Get CD Track Names option under the Advanced menu. It'll get new tags from GraceNote if the file was tagged with the CDID.

B

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Okay I tried that and it was the same as before. It would change, until I played the track and then it reverted back to the old track name. I've never had this problem before... even with songs from iTunes music store or CDs. I've always been able to change the track name.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
dorqiekat said:
Okay I tried that and it was the same as before. It would change, until I played the track and then it reverted back to the old track name. I've never had this problem before... even with songs from iTunes music store or CDs. I've always been able to change the track name.
It really sounds like the file has screwed up ID3 tags, maybe even two sets. Are you on Mac or Windows? If Windows, I'd scrub the tags with Tag & Rename and start afresh. Dunno of any good OS X taggers.

B

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
balamw said:
It really sounds like the file has screwed up ID3 tags, maybe even two sets. Are you on Mac or Windows? If Windows, I'd scrub the tags with Tag & Rename and start afresh. Dunno of any good OS X taggers.

B

I'm on Mac. And now I am sad. I never knew how annoying it is having the artist's name spelled wrong...............

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
My guess is that your file has both ID3V1 and ID3V2 tags. (Beginning and end of files respectively).

Maybe you could try using Convert ID3 tags to convert the tags to V 1.0 and then back to 2.3, thus combining the tags.

B

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
balamw said:
My guess is that your file has both ID3V1 and ID3V2 tags. (Beginning and end of files respectively).

Maybe you could try using Convert ID3 tags to convert the tags to V 1.0 and then back to 2.3, thus combining the tags.

B

Okay, tried that. Didn't work. Out of frustration I tried all of them. Still didn't work. What if I removed the file, like to a windows machine and then bring it back... would that make any difference?

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
OK well since you have the CD, I'd say just rerip it. Something seems to be screwed up in the file and that's an easy fix. What might be worse is that your iTunes database (which is supposed to remain synchronized with the tags in your files) may have somehow become corrupted.

One thing you could try before you trash your database file is to open ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml, search for your sing title or artist, and see which version it has there. If it's the wrong one try changing it in this file directly and save it. I would probably duplicate the file first just to have a backup in case of disaster, and I would quit iTunes before attempting to modify it.

You could also ask the question in the iLounge iPod Forums or in the Apple Support Forums.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
HiRez said:
OK well since you have the CD, I'd say just rerip it. Something seems to be screwed up in the file and that's an easy fix. What might be worse is that your iTunes database (which is supposed to remain synchronized with the tags in your files) may have somehow become corrupted.

One thing you could try before you trash your database file is to open ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml, search for your sing title or artist, and see which version it has there. If it's the wrong one try changing it in this file directly and save it. I would probably duplicate the file first just to have a backup in case of disaster, and I would quit iTunes before attempting to modify it.

You could also ask the question in the iLounge iPod Forums or in the Apple Support Forums.

Waiiittt.... did messing around with the convert id tags cause anything in my iTunes? I'm not in love with the song, if my itunes is unhurt, I could just delete it and listen to the song if I ever crave from the CD.

Now I'm scared. I've already organized my whole library!

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
dorqiekat said:
Waiiittt.... did messing around with the convert id tags cause anything in my iTunes? I'm not in love with the song, if my itunes is unhurt, I could just delete it and listen to the song if I ever crave from the CD.

Now I'm scared. I've already organized my whole library!
Nah, you didn't mess anything up, don't worry about it (the menu item only affects the songs you have selected when you apply it anyway). Just looks like that song has something funky in it that's conflicting. I guess if I didn't have the CD I'd say look for some shareware that will totally strip the tags from the file so you can start over with it, but in your case, just rerip it fresh as I said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.