render farm

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
IS it possible for me to use my Pismo and sawtooth as a render farm cluster to work with FCP, I'd love the speed boost. If you can do this, does anyone know where I can get some direction, I went to Appleseed, but their instructions were vauge and aimed towards scientific clustering.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
A program has to be written to take advantage of clustering, and I don't believe that Final Cut Pro is. Programs like Bryce 5 are, and they make it very well known that it is. Maybe in FCP 4 it will be written in, but for now since apple doesn't advertise it, I doubt that it's in there.

-Pete

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
Yeah, I guess that makes since, it'd be nice to kill some rendering time without buying new hardware, oh well, gotta get some more work.;)

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
FCP

The redering App does not necessarly need to be writin for clusering. Many cluster OS's take care of all that overhead. You can run a active active cluster and the apps on the system dont even know that the other cluster node exists. But ... for OS X... I dont think thats possible yet. There was a lot of cluster research going on at MIT with Macs (and other Universities) but it was a long time ago and I dont know much about it

-evildead

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
Really? How do you run the cluster then? This is all news to me, and this is the good thing about this board. Everyone seems to know what I don't. I learn something new every day.

-Pete

iapple

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2001
Yeah, How do you create a RENDER FARM???

HOW DO YOU HOOK THE RENDER FARM UP???? I've never done anything like it.. is iit via ethernet, or something else? How do you configure?
Can I use an iBOok and a PowerBOok and use 2 CPUs?? ofcourse, under OS X that is..

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
Re: Yeah, How do you create a RENDER FARM???

Originally posted by iapple
HOW DO YOU HOOK THE RENDER FARM UP???? I've never done anything like it.. is iit via ethernet, or something else? How do you configure?
Can I use an iBOok and a PowerBOok and use 2 CPUs?? ofcourse, under OS X that is..
what are you talking about bubba?...

render farms are usually over either ethernet (100bit or 1000bit), but usually over Fibre Optic lines....

in macs, you would make a render farm with ethernet.. but im not chure what er talking about...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.