Rendering of a 4.7-inch iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aucun Express, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Aucun Express macrumors regular

Hi guys, after all the recent reports about the next iPhone having a 4.7-inch screen, here is a rendering of such phone, compared to the iPhone 5S and iPhone 4/4S:

[​IMG]

This is a rendering thinking that Apple could engineer an edgeless iPhone. Therefore, the size of the iPhone would hardly need to increase.

What do you think of it?

2. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure they would increase the size of the icons. Can it not fit 5 columns with the same size icon?

3. Aucun Express thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, this is more a rendering of the size of the screen than what would iOS look like on a bigger screen.

4. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

sad part is I didn't even receive my 5s yet.. but TAKE MY MONEY lololol

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

If iOS could be made resolution independant, this would be awesome. Not increasing the size of the phone would be a massive bonus, I don't want to have to carry around a massive brick everywhere!

6. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

As much as I would like an edge to edge I think apple will release an iphone 6L. By that it's an iPad mini but smaller, which makes it an larger screen iphone but keeping the iPad aspect ratio, simple for developers and not fragmenting the screen size again aspect ratio wise. (I can't speak for resolution)Yes it goes against the single hand use iphone but the point of a bigger phone is for a bigger screen. Which will be two handed otherwise your ear hole to mic is way off for your average user. I can barely use a single hand on the iphone 5s I couldn't imagine doing that with the above render of the iphone 6.

My 2 cents

7. Ballis macrumors 6502a

I hate the idea of a bigger screen a lot less now.

8. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

Interesting rendering but:

- Does Apple have screen tech that thin they don't have to move the silent and volume rockers? The Lg G2 moved its ones in order to have such a thin bizel.

- I don't think Apple would have the ear piece area not being the same dimensions as the home button area for symmetrical reasons.

- Would the icons increase in size? iPads didn't, so I would think they wouldn't an what you'd get would be an extra row of icons.

Either way, I'm still interested to see what Apple will do for the iPhone 6, but until then I happily await the 5s to come out.

9. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

It would be about the size of the moto x, the moto x crammed their 4.7 in screen into a barely bigger than iPhone body.

10. Ballis macrumors 6502a

They could possibly put the fingerprint reader beneath the screen and do away with the homebutton all together. That way the 4.7" model could actually be smaller than the 4".

11. Fission macrumors regular

The edge to edge designs are likely not mechanically sound.

12. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

God I hate mockups but I really hate ones that just enlarge the display and remove the bezel. Apple would never release a phone like that.

13. Aucun Express thread starter macrumors regular

With pleasure! :p

14. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68010

MuGeN PoWeR

if this happens i am sticking with 4" screen. if they make the phone wider then i will jump to 4.7

15. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

Why not leave it up to Apple to design their products?

I could have done that "rendering" with MS Paint for sure.

Even if I'd also like a bigger screen I hate that attitude of people having no clue but wanting to dictate their minds to others. I hope that Apple will Keep it's own pace and direction and not urge some BS based on "Renderings" absolute ignorants and amateurs made.

If there will be a bigger Screen, then it will also change the design.

16. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

OMG. google "rendering"

17. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

What didn't you understand? It's a stupid, cheap mockup I could have done in MS Paint within 2 mins?

So what word is causing you headaches grasping it?

18. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

19. matttye macrumors 601

An edge to edge display would be a disaster.

You see we have this floppy thing that keeps our innards, well, in.. called skin, and when you hold the device with the palm of your hand on one side and fingers on the other, this 'skin' folds over onto the front of the device slightly. With an edge to edge display this would register a touch.

And don't get me started on edge to edge iPads... where the heck are you supposed to put your thumbs while you're holding it?!

Sorry for being facetious, but you get my point. :D

Edit:

Also, if you don't make the actual device bigger, where are they going to put the bigger battery to power the bigger screen?!

I know it's a mockup but there's a severe lack of thought that's gone into this.

20. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

I don't care what you like me to do. If you don't get my point then the problem lies on your side. Don't you agree?

21. Fission macrumors regular

Guys, chill out. Poor dude just wanted to share an idea.

22. iCore24 macrumors 6502

iCore24

Nope. Apple already solved this when the iPad mini got released, it does not register touches on the sides like you say it will. You can hold it with the screen touching your skin, and move it only with one finger for example.

23. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I like the top/bottom, right/left symmetry that all of the iPhones have maintained so far. This thing reminds me of something Samsung would make.

24. matttye macrumors 601

iPad Mini has a significantly larger gap between the sides of the screen than what is shown in the large iPhone mockup in this thread.

In fact, the main image of the iPad Mini on Apple's website shows exactly why an edge to edge display wouldn't work:

[​IMG]

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad-mini/overview/

Thumb and fingers resting on the front of the iPad.

25. g35 macrumors 6502a

"Apple would never release a phone with seams on the sides"
    "Apple would never release a smaller iPad"
    "Apple would never release a larger iPhone"
    "Apple would never release a plastic iPhone"

These are all things that were repeated ad nauseum on this board as if they were fact, yet here we are. Apple most certainly would release a phone like that. It's not anathema to anything Apple stands for and even if it would be a mistake, Apple is not immune from making mistakes, either.

----------

So what? It's a fact that iPads ignore accidental screen presses along the margins. Yes, there is a bezel. They still ignore accidental presses, and this could be useful in an iPhone, where it's only going to be the tall, meaty part of the palm that presses the screen by accident, rather than the discrete fingers that would be more likely to accidentally press the screen on an iPad.