Rendezvous, Apple and Digital Devices in 2003

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacCentral details notes about a panel discussion involving Apple's own Phil Schiller regarding the concept of the Digital Hub. Schiller basically rehashed Apple's current iApps and role in the Digital Hub, and offered the following to look forward to:

Limited in time, Schiller mentioned that more than fifty companies are working with Rendezvous currently and that the technology is poised to have an impact on the face of Mac computing.
Philips has already endorsed the standard and expects to have Rendezvous supported Philips products in 2003. Meanwhile, Apple has demonstrated a Rendezvous-enabled iTunes at MacWorld NY, and expects to release it early next year. Further integration with other iApps, specifically, iPhoto has been hinted as well.

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
IPv6 and Rendezvous will be very cool together. Apple once again will lead us into the next revolution of computing. Of course Microsoft and Dell will get all the credit.

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Rendezvous sounds cool and all but saying that there are 50 or more companies means nothing to me. I want to hear how it's going to be useful and for what type of products. That alone has a bigger impact on folks if it's truly innovative. Maybe I've just missed it but other than printers and Apple's ipod, what other uses has any of the manufacturers including Apple announced that Rendezvous would be incorporated into. I want to hear of specific announements and not just the fantasy statements "this could be done" or "that could be done". Anyone?

cryptochrome

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
Automatic local resource discovery with minimal configuration. You join a network (WiFi or Ethernet) and you automatically are set up to use other resources on the local network - printers, public files (including music via iTunes), and all manner of peripherals - as well as communicating with local users via iChat.

It's appletalk on steroids, and it's a cross-platform standard. In other words, the tech admin's job just got a lot simpler, because the local network will take care of itself and become something everyone can use to its full potential because no one needs to do much about it.

spankalee

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Some hints of whats to come in DevTools

There's image sharing client and server examples in the Developer Tools that use Rendevous. It's remarkably simple. You select an image, give it a name, and when you run the client you see a list of images available on the network.

I pretty much expect Apple or somebody working with them to come out with a picture frame that uses rendezvous to grab a picture off the network, maybe it'll even be wireless.

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by cryptochrome
Automatic local resource discovery with minimal configuration. You join a network (WiFi or Ethernet) and you automatically are set up to use other resources on the local network - printers, public files (including music via iTunes), and all manner of peripherals - as well as communicating with local users via iChat.

It's appletalk on steroids, and it's a cross-platform standard. In other words, the tech admin's job just got a lot simpler, because the local network will take care of itself and become something everyone can use to its full potential because no one needs to do much about it.
Reread my question. I was asking for specific announcements. The "this could be done" or "that can be done" type of statements that you are essentially stating mean nothing if no one is announcing they're doing it. Like I also alluded to I know some printer manufacturers(HP being one of them) have announced support but who else?

spankalee

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by Cappy

Reread my question. I was asking for specific announcements. The "this could be done" or "that can be done" type of statements that you are essentially stating mean nothing if no one is announcing they're doing it. Like I also alluded to I know some printer manufacturers(HP being one of them) have announced support but who else?
Well, Crappy. The iPod doesn't use rendezvous. Lexmark and HP are using it in some printers. The next version of iTunes will use it to allow you to share your music library. iChat uses it to automatically setup local buddy-lists. Phillips will be using it to stream media to and from their AV components. A program called iMIDI lets your send MIDI from one computer to another over TCP/IP.

But other than that, since Rendezvous is so new, there are mostly announcements about people working on things. Nobody wants to give away their great idea to a competitor, so things are a little vague right now. Just sit back and wait a couple of months, then you'll see what the fuss is about, and maybe it will mean something to you.

And if you really want info, you can get up off your arse and search for it, rather than bitching to other posters.

ennerseed

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Cappy

First if you fully (or even partially) understood the product you could see the implications it will have on "the digital hub". How many people are going to want to set up all the networking protocols for their TV, Printer, DVD Player, Stereo, Tivo, Cable or Satellite box, Video or Still Camera... I can go on. The answer: about 5%. This technology will allow ANYONE to connect thies devices together, and to a central computer, wirelessly or not.

If you can NOT imagine the possibilities from this. you need to start to do some brain excersises to get your creativity going.

BTW... Some Names: Philips, Canon, Xerox, Sybase, World Book, Lexmark, and Epson.

steve53e

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2002
Re: Cappy's post(s)

It's likely you hear very little about Rendezvous at this point as we all know too well that most companies don't announce future product plans.

The Rendezvous demo at WWDC earlier this year showed several products which were Rendezvous aware to include a printer, Web Cam, LinkSys Router, some applications, etcetera.

iChat is Rendezvous enabled, as well as the demo version of iTunes Apple has been using to push Rendezvous. There are collaboration software products available, be it whiteBoard, outliners and such.

In short, the use of Rendezvous is only limited by the imagination of the developer. Rendezvous can be incorporated into just about anything; Devices, applications... you name it. This includes devices which don't require drivers/apps on the Mac, devices that do require drivers/apps on the Mac and applications only (i.e., Pop-Pop, Collaborate, Worldbook, iTunes, etc.)

While not as specific an answer as you were probably looking for, it gives you some idea of the significance of Rendezvous and that it could be everywhere given time. The fact that Epson, HP, Lexmark, Philips, Canon, Xerox, Sybase, World Book and many others have released or are releasing Rendezvous enabled products/applications speaks well for the technology.

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by spankalee

Well, Crappy. The iPod doesn't use rendezvous. Lexmark and HP are using it in some printers. The next version of iTunes will use it to allow you to share your music library. iChat uses it to automatically setup local buddy-lists. Phillips will be using it to stream media to and from their AV components. A program called iMIDI lets your send MIDI from one computer to another over TCP/IP.

But other than that, since Rendezvous is so new, there are mostly announcements about people working on things. Nobody wants to give away their great idea to a competitor, so things are a little vague right now. Just sit back and wait a couple of months, then you'll see what the fuss is about, and maybe it will mean something to you.

And if you really want info, you can get up off your arse and search for it, rather than bitching to other posters.
Lose the attitude spanky. A simple question was asked that was finally answered in this last post of yours in the first paragraph and is appreciated. And thanks for the correction on ipod. I honestly meant to type itunes there.

For what it's worth no one has to answer any post here, sure, but when people state and restate the obvious in what's been posted and talked about everywhere about the general form of the technology that doesn't answer the question asked I get a little impatient. If you have issues with that, then you should get out a little more.

And by the way try to keep in mind that this forum is about sharing information. Requesting that people search for info rather than bringing it up here goes against the idea of this forum.

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by ennerseed

First if you fully (or even partially) understood the product you could see the implications it will have on "the digital hub". How many people are going to want to set up all the networking protocols for their TV, Printer, DVD Player, Stereo, Tivo, Cable or Satellite box, Video or Still Camera... I can go on. The answer: about 5%. This technology will allow ANYONE to connect thies devices together, and to a central computer, wirelessly or not.

If you can NOT imagine the possibilities from this. you need to start to do some brain excersises to get your creativity going.

BTW... Some Names: Philips, Canon, Xerox, Sybase, World Book, Lexmark, and Epson.
The names are appreciated...the rest isn't. I learned a long time ago not to make assumptions about technology being used a certain way if there have been no announcements. This was the whole point to the question but a few folks seemed to have missed that. I'm well aware of what the technology can do but was more interested in hearing what companies had announced and what specific products were supporting it. I'm beginning to wonder how many times I need to repost that. :rolleyes:

As for the brain exercises I'm all for it and am always looking for ways to improve. Lets start by you sharing with us yours so we can be on the same page. ;)

Really guys...lets just drop it. It was a simple question that was initially misunderstood. The attempt at insults after that was childish. Lets all(yes, including me) try to sound like respectable adults and move on.

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Re: Re: Cappy's post(s)

Originally posted by steve53e
It's likely you hear very little about Rendezvous at this point as we all know too well that most companies don't announce future product plans.

The Rendezvous demo at WWDC earlier this year showed several products which were Rendezvous aware to include a printer, Web Cam, LinkSys Router, some applications, etcetera.

iChat is Rendezvous enabled, as well as the demo version of iTunes Apple has been using to push Rendezvous. There are collaboration software products available, be it whiteBoard, outliners and such.

In short, the use of Rendezvous is only limited by the imagination of the developer. Rendezvous can be incorporated into just about anything; Devices, applications... you name it. This includes devices which don't require drivers/apps on the Mac, devices that do require drivers/apps on the Mac and applications only (i.e., Pop-Pop, Collaborate, Worldbook, iTunes, etc.)

While not as specific an answer as you were probably looking for, it gives you some idea of the significance of Rendezvous and that it could be everywhere given time. The fact that Epson, HP, Lexmark, Philips, Canon, Xerox, Sybase, World Book and many others have released or are releasing Rendezvous enabled products/applications speaks well for the technology.
Thanks Steve. There's nothing wrong with your answer. It included a little more than basic info. I just tire of the general descriptions as answers to specific questions and then people making assumptions from them without any hard facts. Oh wait I forgot, this is a rumor board. ;)

Anyways apparently I came off a little strong. It happens and is odd since no one else has ever reacted to my posts before on this board...well aside from alphatech but he was a special case. :)

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
Austin, TX
No flaming please...

Here's where I see the true use for Rendezvous...

At my high school, they have a mobile wireless cart setup (with dell's, of course) I am automatically able to connect to the internet, but that's just the airport software. With Rendezvous, I could open up my computer, connect to a wireless network with no hassle at all, not even any previous configuration. Then, I could print to available printers, I could talk to other people, and I could share information with people without having to find out server names and IP addresses. That's the biggest problem that I have. I can't find any printers on the network at school because I don't know their IP addresses. This means I have to save my file on a network server that I had to search for using the SMB sharing. Right now, with a Mac, you can do most of the stuff with just a little configuration, but to do it with no configuration at all is even better. Of course, there are security things that may have to be worked out, but in the long run, I think rendezvous will work out nicely.

Imagine being able to have a repairman walk into your house with a laptop, connect to your wireless network (with just a password, for security) and be able to talk to your appliances, and find out what is wrong with which ones... In the long run, your washing machine could be attached to your network, and when your clothes are done washing, it will inform you that they're done. You can also stream music to your home stereo, or any room in your house. You could setup security cameras and use them with no problem. The advantages of rendezvous are endless. Just attach something to the network, and it works... No hassle, no struggle, just a wonderful, working network... Although not many companies have announced much about their plans for rendezvous, I think that in a couple of months, when Apple shows more support inside the OS, there will be an uprising of Rendezvous hardware...

Right now, the only things that use Rendezvous are Mac-2-Mac sharing (connect to server), printer sharing, and iChat. (I'm not too sure about printer sharing, but I was able to print to my USB printer hooked up to my G4 from my iBook with no configuration. Sounds like rendezvous to me...)

Hopefully microsoft or any other company wont take rendezvous, copy it for the windoze platform, and make a proprietary version... The coolest thing is that if all works well, Macs, windoze, and Linux will be able to talk and share information without any configuration or problems, thanks to the fact that Rendezvous is open source, and cross-platform. There's no doubt it will appear on linux boxes soon, but microsoft support might take time, if it even goes through at all. Hopefully there doesn't have to be something embedded in the OS for rendezvous to work, because if not, Apple can simply make rendezvous software for pee-cee's without worrying about microsoft... Then, think of the PDA market, and what rendezvous can do for it... As I said, the possibilities are endless...

steve53e

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2002
Re: G4scott post

No flames required. I think the whole idea surrounding Rendezvous still leaves a lot of unanswered questions for many people. Apple could have done a better job in explaining it and what it can do, yet I can understand their silence in some respects. Apple may have ideas that they just don't want others to know about. If you feel you have some great idea that uses Rendezvous, you certainly don't want to tell the competition about it who may get it to the street ahead of you.

Implementing Rendezvous is a fairly simple process. Device makers need to add AutoIP and the mDNS responder to their printers in order for it to be discoverable by apps and other Rendezvous aware devices. Mac OS X application developers can just use CFNetServices, etc., to quickly and easily add Rendezvous support to their applications. The fact that the source code is also available for other OS's is great - it's now available for anyone to use. How can you argue with that.

While Microsoft is good at getting people to jump on their band wagon using their famous "our implementation is better" b.s., I tend to believe that more and more companies and developers are shying away from proprietary in favor of open source/standards whenever possible. You hear more and more people saying, "we use it because it's open source and we believe in open source" or "we use it because it uses open standards and believe in open standards over proprietary" these days. Open source/standards work and people are seeing the benefits over using some proprietary Microsoft offering.

I think Rendezvous has unlimited potential. It's going to exciting to see what comes out in the future in the way of Rendezvous aware/enabled devices and applications.

kansaigaijin

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
the great ether
the digital hub

I am getting a little impatient hearing about the brave new future ahead of us. Like cappy, I would like to hear some hard info for a change.

Last weekend I walked through some of the big electronics/computer stores in Osaka. Japan is supposedly in a recession, but all the stores were packed with thousands of people checking out the computers and such. Yodobashi Camera has two giant floors of digital stuff and two Apple Store style areas, with Apple Store layouts and there was also an Apple live demo going with campaign girls etc. How many people watching/checking outthe stuff? 2!
So go downstairs to M$'s tablet launch demo, next to the tunnel to the train station, how many people there? Too many to get at the stuff! (ugly anyway, but that doesn't matter).
a short walk underground takes me to the Hankyu train station, whats this? Sony is doing a demo of the new home server system, what does it do? It is a digital hub that connects video, music, broadband (100mbps fibre here!) Many people are watching big plasma monitors and picking up printed stuff and asking questions. this thing is on sale now!

I have been an Apple fanatic for a long time, the stuff is beautiful, but the are losing the battle bigtime here.

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
i think the big deal about rendezvous besides the technique is the name itself. i mean, seen from a consumer-side what do you choose: firewire or ilink. remember?
rendezvous or e879zzTX (whatever...)?

rendezvous will be a winner.
and for sure you want your devices to have a ...rendezvous... or a candlelight dinner :)

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
Austin, TX
Originally posted by kansaigaijin
i thought the real point was to sell Apple computers?
That's one of the main points, but there are other motives. Apple's trying to make it easier to use not only computers, but devices you use with the computer. It's like going from command-line to a GUI with hardware configuration... You just use the hardware, no time lost to setup or configuration problems.

Japan seems to have taken off technologically, but I see most of that stuff as expensive toys. Rendezvous not only has it's uses in the home, but in businesses and schools.

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
of course apple should sell their computers, kansaigaijin.

but the ipod showed us, that apple wants to go a step forward. not only selling computers but beeing able to give whole solutions with new hardware and new software. example: mac - pod - itunes. and that's just the solution for music. i bet there will be solutions for pictures and movies or even multimedia. talking about iphone.

until now rendezvous is just the key to go less complicate communication between devices and letting us speculate what kind of super-duper solutions there might come. let's wait and see what apple is doing with it.

.a

unclepain

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2002
Va Beach VA
From what I understand, Rendevous is only useful in your own subnet. This is fine for small networks, but how will it work on larger systems with multiple subnets?

steve53e

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2002
Originally posted by unclepain
From what I understand, Rendevous is only useful in your own subnet. This is fine for small networks, but how will it work on larger systems with multiple subnets?
From Apples Site:

Q: Does Rendezvous work across routers (between multiple subnets)?

A: No. The first release of DNS Service Discovery (DNS-SD) for Mac OS X concentrates on Multicast DNS (mDNS) for single-link networks because this is the environment worst served by current IP software. Future versions will add Dynamic Update and unicast query support.

So it would appear the capability is coming at some point in the future.

kansaigaijin

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
the great ether
my point was that all that stuff (ipods, rendevous) sounds great to you and me but to everybody else out there it is off thier radar screens. Thousands of people in a giant store, it is packed like xmas (no it is not xmas here) and only two people looking at Apple stuff. If you think they are just looking at expensive toys, it doesn't matter, they are buying big laptops, minidesktops, dv cameras, but they are not buying Apple.

and I would venture to say it is the same elsewhere, where are the people shopping? maybe there is people in the Apple stores, but how does that compare to the crowds in the PC shops and on-line?