Rented iTunes Movie on iPad...Can't Play on Apple TV??

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by teralpar, Jun 22, 2014.

1. teralpar macrumors newbie

I rented a iTunes movie from my iPad but I want to watch the movie using Apple TV. I can't find the movie when I look up "purchases" on Apple TV. Since I rented the movie on the iPad, does that mean I have to watch it on the iPad ONLY?

2. dangerfish macrumors 6502

3. teralpar thread starter macrumors newbie

4. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

Idiotic restrictions like this is why people pirate.

5. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

That's a lame excuse to break the law.

Rent it on the device you need or rent it on your computer first then you can transfer the rental back and forth to your iOS devices. Otherwise use Airplay.

Apple has always fought DRM and succeeded with the music labels, Hollywood however is another matter.

6. artfun macrumors member

Good point, rent it on a computer.

7. Digitalclips macrumors 65816

Here is a tip: Some times movies on the Mac won't play to the Apple TV, this includes not only movies but web sites streaming video. Airplay honors certain DRM rules blocking the ability to watch on your big TV via Apple TV. The work around is a very inexpensive alternative to Airplay called AirParrot. It will play anything on your Mac (even old ones) to any Apple TV.

I originally had to use AirParrot on my 2009 MBP as it wasn't new enough to support Airplay itself. However, now I also have a nMac Pro and other need Macs which do have Airplay I have still found AirParrot very useful at times when DRM prevents Airplay working to the Apple TV.