Rep. Parker Griffith Switches Parties, Becomes Republican

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IntheNet, Dec 22, 2009.

1. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

So it begins...

Exclusive: Rep. Parker Griffith switches to GOP
    POLITICO
    JOSH KRAUSHAAR | 12/22/09 10:57 AM EST
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1209/30896.html
    POLITICO has learned that Rep. Parker Griffith, a freshman Democrat from Alabama, will announce today that he’s switching parties to become a Republican. According to two senior GOP aides familiar with the decision, the announcement will take place this afternoon in Griffith's district in northern Alabama. Griffith’s party switch comes on the eve of a pivotal congressional health care vote and will send a jolt through a Democratic House Caucus that has already been unnerved by the recent retirements of a handful of members who, like Griffith, hail from districts that offer prime pickup opportunities for the GOP in 2010.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So a DINO switches to his true party - good for him. At least now he's being honest about his party affiliation.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

All I can say is good riddance and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

And before you consider one DINO who should've been in the GOP in the first place switching to the GOP as terrible news for the Democrats and great news for the GOP, it's not.

4. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Will be interested to see his he can hold on to his seat next time he is up for election. Also this really isn't that surprising or upsetting, he didn't seem to support the dem on much. Considering his seat was unheld by the GOP for so long, I have to think he may have picked the democratic party just because the GOP would have made it difficult to set elected.

(Also I'd hardly say the the GOP will "pick up" his seat next election, as they will soon control the seat)

7. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Thank you for reminding me. Something Something Something Dark Side comes out today! :)

BL.

9. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

This would be significant if this person represented a district anywhere outside of the deep South. Otherwise, it's a non-issue.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Rep. Parker Griffith Switches Parties, Becomes Republican

Link

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOLz. :)

His rhetoric certainly would make him fit. Too bad Lieberman didn't go with him.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I hope the door hits him hard on the a** on the way out. Bye-bye and good riddance.

13. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

The beginning?

It begins
    I can hear the posts (yes they make noise) about how this guy was already a Republican, good riddance!
    But it is significant, because it starts the public move away from barry.

14. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Have you been to Texas, Democrats in the national sense don't exist outside of the cities.

16. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Haha I have noticed. If you meet a democrat in Texas, its like WOW.

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Someone was eager for the good news! :p

But really, if you think this guy was moving away from Obama, your nuts! He wasn't ever near him!

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

1 person who is a DINO to begin with is not a public move away from President Obama.

19. IntheNet thread starter macrumors regular

IntheNet

Good news here to be sure! Rep. Parker Griffith is a defender of grass-roots activists who protested at town halls over the summer and he is a skilled cancer doctor/politician who passionately opposes the government health care takeover - yet another physician opposed to ObamaCare. The announcement of Rep. Parker Griffith's shift to the GOP comes on the heels of a wave of Blue Dog Democrat retirements. (USA Today: House Dems' tough task: Defending 'swing' seats in 2010

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

One politician moving from the Dems to the GOP is not the start of a public move against the president. Was that one guy who switched to the Dems from the GOP the beginning of the shift towards the president? Your continuous hackery is losing it's comedic value at this point.

21. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

when barry was hot in the polls, a rino switched to be a dim. now that he is not so hot, folks will leave him. this won't cause a major shift in power by any means. it is only significant in that someone is loudly leaving, stepping away from the dims and barry the savior. a few months ago no one would have thunk it. that is the significance. 2010 will either usher in a major shift or not. i think it will.

22. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Isn't that like the handicap kid going to the other team (No offense to persons with disabilities, just political pawns)

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Good news indeed...especially this part:

My bold. If the district is "historically Democratic", he's facing an uphill battle come election time.

Sounds like a real loser, especially since most physicians are in favor of health reform. Nice guy.

More room to run true Democrats. Blue dogs are the ones who helped Republicans maim health care reform. Losing them is not necessarily a bad thing.

24. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

You're not helping your cause. Using ridiculous word-play and cheap insults isn't going help persuade anyone here, and I don't know how you don't see that. Why can't you just make your point without calling Democrats "dims" and calling Barack "barry". Just be realistic and make your points. If they're logical they'll be effective.

25. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

If the dim/dem fits.....Barry has called himself Barry as recently as last week calling in to a radio talk show to say bye to the Virginia Gov. I don't pretend to even be trying to persuade anyone in PRSI, all here are who they are. There is a constant stream of degrading babble about the right....but if being berated for calling Barry, Barry, when Barry calls himself Barry makes you think I am the problem, then you tell me....is it dem or dim?