macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
So it begins...

Exclusive: Rep. Parker Griffith switches to GOP
POLITICO
JOSH KRAUSHAAR | 12/22/09 10:57 AM EST
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1209/30896.html
POLITICO has learned that Rep. Parker Griffith, a freshman Democrat from Alabama, will announce today that he’s switching parties to become a Republican. According to two senior GOP aides familiar with the decision, the announcement will take place this afternoon in Griffith's district in northern Alabama. Griffith’s party switch comes on the eve of a pivotal congressional health care vote and will send a jolt through a Democratic House Caucus that has already been unnerved by the recent retirements of a handful of members who, like Griffith, hail from districts that offer prime pickup opportunities for the GOP in 2010.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
So a DINO switches to his true party - good for him. At least now he's being honest about his party affiliation.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
All I can say is good riddance and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

And before you consider one DINO who should've been in the GOP in the first place switching to the GOP as terrible news for the Democrats and great news for the GOP, it's not.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Will be interested to see his he can hold on to his seat next time he is up for election. Also this really isn't that surprising or upsetting, he didn't seem to support the dem on much. Considering his seat was unheld by the GOP for so long, I have to think he may have picked the democratic party just because the GOP would have made it difficult to set elected.

(Also I'd hardly say the the GOP will "pick up" his seat next election, as they will soon control the seat)

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
This would be significant if this person represented a district anywhere outside of the deep South. Otherwise, it's a non-issue.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Rep. Parker Griffith Switches Parties, Becomes Republican

Link

Democratic Rep. Parker Griffith announced Tuesday that he's switching parties – saying he can no longer align himself “with a party that continues to pursue legislation that is bad for our country, hurts our economy and drives us further and further into debt.”

“Unfortunately there are those in the Democratic Leadership that continue to push an agenda focused on massive new spending, tax increases, bailouts and a health care bill that is bad for our healthcare system,” Griffith said in a statement. “I have always considered myself to be an independent voice and I have tried to be that voice in Congress – but after watching this agenda firsthand I now believe that the differences in the two parties could not be more clear and that for me to be true to my core beliefs and values I must align myself with the Republican party and speak out clearly on these issues.

Griffith’s party switch comes on the eve of a pivotal congressional health care vote and will send a jolt through a Democratic House Caucus that has already been unnerved by the recent retirements of a handful of members who, like Griffith, hail from districts that offer prime pickup opportunities for the GOP in 2010.

The switch represents a coup for the House Republican leadership, which had been courting Griffith since he publicly criticized the Democratic leadership in the wake of raucous town halls during the summer.

Virginia Rep. Eric Cantor, the No. 2 Republican in the House, hailed Griffith's move from a large majority to a small minority as proof that the Democrats have become “completely disconnected from seniors, young workers and and families in America.”

Liberals countered that Griffith was essentially a Republican all along, and Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.), the chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, said he should give back the money Democrats have contributed to his campaign.

"House Democratic members and the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee took Parker Griffith at his word and, as a result, invested a great deal in working with Alabamans to bring Mr. Griffith to Congress," he said in a statement. "Mr. Griffith, failing to honor our commitment to him, has a duty and responsibility to return to Democratic Members and the DCCC the financial resources that were invested in him. His constituents will hold him accountable for failing to keep his commitments."

Griffith, who captured his seat in a close 2008 open seat contest, will become the first Republican to hold the historically Democratic, Huntsville-based district. A radiation oncologist who founded a cancer treatment center, Griffith cited the Democratic health care bill as a major reason for his switch.

“I want to make it perfectly clear that his bill is bad for our doctors, our patients and will have unintended consequences far beyond what we know today,” he said. “As a doctor and as a Republican, I plan to once again oppose this measure and hope that we can defeat this bill that is a major threat to our nation.”

While the timing of his announcement was unexpected, Griffith’s party switch will not come as a surprise to those familiar with his voting record, which is one of the most conservative among Democrats. "He has bucked the Democratic leadership on nearly all of its major domestic initiatives, including the stimulus package, health care legislation, the cap-and trade energy bill and financial regulatory reform. "He was one of only 11 House Democrats to vote against the stimulus.

“Look at his voting record – he’s had substantial differences philosophically with the Democratic agenda here in Congress,” said an Alabama ally who is familiar with Griffith’s decision. “It’s something that’s been discussed for the last several months… talking to people in his family. And it genuinely is a reflection of where he feels. It’s his own personal conviction.”

The Obama administration’s decision to scrap plans to build a missile defense shield in Eastern Europe further frustrated Griffith, according to GOP sources, because his district contains the base for Boeing’s ground-based missile defense research.

Ironically, a National Republican Congressional Committee spokesman called Griffith a “woefully ineffective advocate for Tennessee Valley jobs” after the decision was announced in September.

Signs of Griffith’s dissatisfaction with his party began to surface publicly during the summer recess, when he received an earful of criticism from constituents.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Democratic Rep. Parker Griffith announced Tuesday that he's switching parties – saying he can no longer align himself “with a party that continues to pursue legislation that is bad for our country, hurts our economy and drives us further and further into debt.”
LOLz. :)

His rhetoric certainly would make him fit. Too bad Lieberman didn't go with him.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
The beginning?

It begins
I can hear the posts (yes they make noise) about how this guy was already a Republican, good riddance!
But it is significant, because it starts the public move away from barry.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Someone was eager for the good news! :p

But really, if you think this guy was moving away from Obama, your nuts! He wasn't ever near him!

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
Good news here to be sure! Rep. Parker Griffith is a defender of grass-roots activists who protested at town halls over the summer and he is a skilled cancer doctor/politician who passionately opposes the government health care takeover - yet another physician opposed to ObamaCare. The announcement of Rep. Parker Griffith's shift to the GOP comes on the heels of a wave of Blue Dog Democrat retirements. (USA Today: House Dems' tough task: Defending 'swing' seats in 2010

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It begins
I can hear the posts (yes they make noise) about how this guy was already a Republican, good riddance!
One politician moving from the Dems to the GOP is not the start of a public move against the president. Was that one guy who switched to the Dems from the GOP the beginning of the shift towards the president? Your continuous hackery is losing it's comedic value at this point.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
when barry was hot in the polls, a rino switched to be a dim. now that he is not so hot, folks will leave him. this won't cause a major shift in power by any means. it is only significant in that someone is loudly leaving, stepping away from the dims and barry the savior. a few months ago no one would have thunk it. that is the significance. 2010 will either usher in a major shift or not. i think it will.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Good news here to be sure!
Good news indeed...especially this part:

Griffith, who captured his seat in a close 2008 open seat contest, will become the first Republican to hold the historically Democratic, Huntsville-based district.
My bold. If the district is "historically Democratic", he's facing an uphill battle come election time.

Rep. Parker Griffith is a defender of grass-roots activists who protested at town halls over the summer and he is a skilled cancer doctor/politician who passionately opposes the government health care takeover - yet another physician opposed to ObamaCare.
Sounds like a real loser, especially since most physicians are in favor of health reform. Nice guy.

The announcement of Rep. Parker Griffith's shift to the GOP comes on the heels of a wave of Blue Dog Democrat retirements. (USA Today: House Dems' tough task: Defending 'swing' seats in 2010
More room to run true Democrats. Blue dogs are the ones who helped Republicans maim health care reform. Losing them is not necessarily a bad thing.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
when barry was hot in the polls, a rino switched to be a dim. now that he is not so hot, folks will leave him. this won't cause a major shift in power by any means. it is only significant in that someone is loudly leaving, stepping away from the dims and barry the savior. a few months ago no one would have thunk it. that is the significance. 2010 will either usher in a major shift or not. i think it will.
You're not helping your cause. Using ridiculous word-play and cheap insults isn't going help persuade anyone here, and I don't know how you don't see that. Why can't you just make your point without calling Democrats "dims" and calling Barack "barry". Just be realistic and make your points. If they're logical they'll be effective.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
You're not helping your cause. Using ridiculous word-play and cheap insults isn't going help persuade anyone here, and I don't know how you don't see that. Why can't you just make your point without calling Democrats "dims" and calling Barack "barry". Just be realistic and make your points. If they're logical they'll be effective.
If the dim/dem fits.....Barry has called himself Barry as recently as last week calling in to a radio talk show to say bye to the Virginia Gov. I don't pretend to even be trying to persuade anyone in PRSI, all here are who they are. There is a constant stream of degrading babble about the right....but if being berated for calling Barry, Barry, when Barry calls himself Barry makes you think I am the problem, then you tell me....is it dem or dim?