Repair cracked 4s screen to later sell - worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sevenseconds, Aug 18, 2013.

1. sevenseconds macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a Sprint 32GB 4s with a pretty big spider crack across the front and on the back, near the camera. Everything is still functional. I'm planning on getting the iPhone 5s next month and selling/trading my 4S.

I know I can repair the 4s screen for ~$60. Will I see a noticeable ($60) difference in resale value for my 4S if it has a new third party screen vs. the current cracked one?

Thanks in advance!

2. 617aircav Suspended

Hard to tell. These phones dont sell for a set price used. Also depends if you let the buyer know what you did. That will drop the price.

3. sevenseconds thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

Got a related q: Does Amazon/Gazelle accept a new third-party screen (from the ifixit kit, for example) on trade in?

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

This is a pure guess...

But I bet they have no time to put a magnifying glass and go, Aha! he's stiffing up up with non-genuine parts! They just gonna look at it, clean, reload OS, run a few things, good, put it up on the sell shelf.

Sprint phones are not big sellers, don't spend too much$ refurbishing.

5. dessskris macrumors newbie

Try and search for 4S on eBay, you might find some people actually selling iPhones with cracked screen! No lie, I've seen people selling the 5 with cracked screen numerous times and they still sold at about £250. Just try and see how much it could sell on eBay. And remember if you plan to sell it on eBay, 10% of the selling price you have to pay to eBay. So is it worth repairing?

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

Since it's a Sprint iPhone I would just sell as is with the crack. The Sprint iPhones don't hold the same resale value as the others so I wouldn't put extra money into fixing it.

7. sevenseconds thread starter macrumors newbie

Great tips, all!

I think I'm gonna hold off on paying for the new screen and just resell it with the crack on Craigslist or Ebay when the 5s arrives. Thanks a lot.

MacRumors FTW!:D