Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tamasi

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
Hi guys,

I used to like Apple and certainly still prefer iOS over Windows, but am finding it ever harder to rationalise paying the prices Apple is asking for. I am now in doubt between having my 2017 MBP repaired for probably some 1k, or purchase a new 2019 MBP. (Which sounds somewhat ridiculous given that I only purchased the 2017 model less than two years ago)

Full background:
- MBP11 was my first MBP, loved it and would have preferred repairing it in 2017 when it broke down if that had been possible, but it was not because the motherboard simply died of old age and usage.
- Purchased the MBP17 two years ago (without Apple care, because I didn't have that for the MBP11 either and never would have required it). The MBP17 model has always been somewhat unsatisfying though; I have never liked the new design and keyboard and still regularly cut my hands on the new sharp edges in front of the touchpad. Moreover the keyboard performance has kept deteriorating over time.
- Now a few weeks ago I spilled a little water over my keyboard and long story short, the screen is now **** too; left 20% of the screen has a grey waze and the rest regularly flikkers.
- I would rather buy a new MBP11 than a new MBP19 even if they were the same price.

TLDR
What is the more rational decision?; Repair the screen and keyboard of a 2017 MBP for probably 1k-ish? Or purchase a brand new 2019 MBP? My more emotional assessment is to say **** you Apple, your product's designs, quality and value-for-money seems to be ever decreasing and I would actually like to quit you just to make a statement. But in doing so I'd probably hurt myself more than Apple.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY AND ALL THOUGHTS AND ADVICE

P.S. I'm in Europe and the MBP19 15 inch entry model comes at 2.699,00 €

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I feel you're somewhat glossing over the fact you spilled water over your MacBook Pro and now it doesn't work.

You can claim for the repair through your home insurance. Whether you need a newer model is up to you. If it makes its money back, great; if not, it'll probably be cheaper for you to get your 2017 repaired.

Tamasi

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
Ok fair point..

I guess what frustrates a lot is that Apple consistently keeps prioritising aesthetics over usability and that the 2019 models don't look any more appealing from that perspectives; instead of having given us waterproof keyboards like Thinkpad has had for decades we got the butterfly ones that brought the completely irrelevant "benefit" of MBPs being perhaps nano-millimeters thinner. And if damages happen and a repair is needed, there's no way to fix or upgrade things yourself but you are bound to repair prices at the price level of quite great new Windows laptops.

Relevant insurance I don't have and I guess I am also worried that even if I'd have the screen and keyboard repaired, it will only take little times for further components to break down.

Overall I don't see a choice I can fully stand behind and I guess I'm somehow hoping for new perspectives that may allow me to make a more confident decision..

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am now in doubt between having my 2017 MBP repaired for probably some 1k, or purchase a new 2019 MBP. (Which sounds somewhat ridiculous given that I only purchased the 2017 model less than two years ago)
True, but its not because the laptop failed, but because you spilled water. I don't want to sound harsh and maybe there's more to your usage of the 2017 MBP but what I gather is it worked well up until you spilled water on it.

My more emotional assessment is to say **** you Apple, your product's designs, quality and value-for-money seems to be ever decreasing and I would actually like to quit you just to make a statement. But in doing so I'd probably hurt myself more than Apple.
Are you angry that they refused to fix it for free?

Repair the screen and keyboard of a 2017 MBP for probably 1k-ish? Or purchase a brand new 2019 MBP?
You didn't state what your usage is nor the configuration, are you looking at the entry level model? What will Apple repair for that 1k price tag? the display and logic board? Is there a strong assurance that there will be no further problems? For instance, water gets into the keyboard and/or trackpad, it may work well now but some of the metal may corrode and it will fail down the road, if apple didn't replace it then you may be on the hook for further repairs. In short Is that 1k just for the display?

What apps do you use and can you switch platforms w/o too much pain. Do you enjoy being in the apple ecosystem and/or using macOS? All of these questions need to be answered before a full answer can be determined.

It seems you're upset and right now you're lashing out at apple, why not take a couple of days, let the dust settle and then determine the best course of action.

My $.02
Repair: Makes sense if the rest of the laptop was working as expected. Will the water damage impact the warranty going forward, including the keyboard replacement program?
Replace: Does the cost justify the move? Peace of mind but at a significantly higher price tag. You get the opportunity to purchase applecare plus (this includes accidental damage), you have the newer keyboard and a faster machine.
Leave Apple: You almost surely will find a less expensive, feature rich laptop, but will you like it, can you work within windows, does the apps you need exist in windows. Are there any show stopping services that apple has that you'll lose out on. iMessage for instance.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
If you don’t like the current Apple laptop design, then I’d suggest you get something else. It’s unlikely they will radically change direction. Not sure where you got this “aesthetics before usability”, my MBP is functionality pure (although minimalistic, as Apple does), but different people have different needs and tastes will never be the same.

To your question, i wouldn’t dish out a lot of money to repair a 2 year water-damaged machine, it’s just not worth it. Auction it for parts and get something new.

Reactions: poorcody
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.