Repair(s) after the standard 1-year warranty?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DewGuy1999, Apr 2, 2011.

1. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I know that the AppleCare Protection Plan is widely regarded as a must buy in the Mac user community and I'd like to not discuss the merits of that in this thread, but I'm curious to hear of those brave souls who didn't purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan for their Mac and then had a need for it.

I don't have any experience with this situation myself even though I've been using Macs since '93. Of the 3 Macs I've owned only my current one needed a repair outside the standard 1-year warranty, it needed the logic board replaced during it's 3rd year and was covered under the AppleCare Protection Plan that I purchased. So, if you'd be so kind:

What did you need repaired?
    When did you need it repaired?
    Where did you have it repaired?
    How much was the repair?
    What Mac needed to be repaired?

Thank You.

2. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

After Applecare expired I blew a power supply in a G5 iMac and called Applecare and they shipped out a 'new' one for around 50 bucks and I swapped it myself. No big deal, it was rather easy actually. They gave me no grief and no hassle. Had the part within a few days and shipped the old one back, prepaid.

It worked, although not what you might have been asking for?

3. DewGuy1999 thread starter macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Yeah, actually it is the kind of answer I was looking for. For one, I didn't know that Apple would sell parts to the user, and two it wasn't the mega-expensive repair that advocates use as examples of why you should get AppleCare.