Repair taking too long, Apple called and is sending me a new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AirmanPika, Jan 30, 2008.

1. AirmanPika macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

So yea the laptop I sent in for an LCD Replacement is now being swapped with a brand new MBP.

I sent it in on the 10th and then on the 25th I called Apple to get an update. I wasn't annoyed or anything, just curious. They saw that the LCD was flagged as having arrived at the repair depot the day after the laptop arrived but that the laptop had just sat. Not sure what was up they sent a query and asked me to call back in 2 days.

So 2 days later I call back. Turns out the LCD had NOT arrived at the Depot but that they would ping all their parts people to get a 15" Matte LED LCD sent to the depot ASAP and to check back with them again in 2 days. Oddly no more than 2 hours later they called ME and said that no one has any matte screens and if I'd be fine getting a Glossy screen instead to expedite the repair. Again I was fine with this and OKed it.

Then today comes. I get called again by apple. They can't get a glossy screen for my laptop. Matte screens will not be availible till Feb 7th at the earliest. Out of the blue the apple rep asked me if it would be ok if they send me a brand new laptop instead. Seeing as I backed up my data this option is perfect. They are going to mail the new laptop directly to my house via the typical 1-3 day ship option.

I'm kinda stunned that they offered this. I never once got mad or indicated that I was bummed about it taking so long. I guess they just have better customer service than I expected.

2. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Sounds like honest service. Good for them (and lucky for you).

4. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

My friend you are the luckiest person on this planet. Just goes to show you that temperament means alot!! Be nice ask questions, and never resort to a Shouting match. Its like yelling at someone who is making your food.

Cheers!

5. DaLurker macrumors 6502

I think Apple's really short on Matte screens right now. I've been waiting for a Matte screen for a week. Today they called me and said it has taken too long and so they replaced it with a new machine for me.

6. darfel macrumors member

That's awesome...is it an exact trade or are you getting an upgrade?

7. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

i hope this shortage doesn't affect anything with the new mbps when they come out. If I have to purchase a glossy screen I think I would have to kill myself

anyways though, its cool that they sent you a new one. It looks like there are still some decent honest people in customer service these days :)

8. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

You posting that makes me think maybe there is a shortage because of the new model. Maybe they put all of their available resources into the newer models since there seems to be quite the demand for them.

9. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

i'm obviously speculating, but its a nice though isn't it. :rolleyes:

10. Bariwasmypart macrumors newbie

is it possible that the shortage of screens has to do with the rumored mbp release/update

seeing how their wouldnt be any screens till the 7th
    do to redesign of the new led display

Just hopeful speculation :p

sorry didnt see the post above but it adds up to me

11. AirmanPika thread starter macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

Exact trade. Funny irony is that I was planning to sell my MBP on ebay to pay for a new MBP when they release in XD86. Maybe they'll send me a new model :p Certainly helps with resale value when its brand new.

12. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

wow! that's excellent!

I am off to purchase AppleCare for my MacBook Pro, this solidified my confidence.

13. ewxlt macrumors regular