Repairing a shattered iPhone 4: where to buy parts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DarkLightA, Apr 17, 2011.

1. DarkLightA macrumors newbie

I was thinking of starting to make some bucks off repairing iPhone 4's that have had an unfortunate meeting with the floor.

In my country, Apple's cheapest repair option is around 3-400 bucks, so there sure is some money to be made.

So, I've been browsing a bit (and yes, I know repairing it's a challenge), and I think I'll buy these tools to begin with:
    $3.70 - Professional Premium Precision Phone Disassembly Tools for iPhone 4 (7-Piece Set) - DIY Parts & Tools (has the pentagon screw driver)
    Touch Screen 3G Repair Kit Open Tools For iPhone 3G 3GS | eBay (plunger and stuff)

Okay, my question really is, what parts will I need? As I understand it, iPhone 4 is different from 3gs in that the digitizer is attached to the LCD instead of the glass (correct me if wrong). Therefore, does that mean that for a broken screen with digitizer not working as a result of the fall, I'll need to replace the LCD in addition?

So, in general, what parts will be needed for the following?
    • Shattered glass, touch screen working, LCD working
    • Shattered glass, touch screen working, LCD not working
    • Shattered glass, touch screen not working, LCD working

Also, where can I get relatively good quality parts (not necessarily OEM, but not $1 either)? Preferrably from China, as the shipping prices there are nice (need shipping to Norway, Europe)

Thanks for all answers, they are appreciated a lot!
    -DLA

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Buy the parts online from iFixit they are one of the most reputable/experienced business's around in selling parts.

Be careful while repairing the phone yourself, one mistake and you could ruin the whole phone for good.

3. DarkLightA thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

iPhone 4 parts are expensive.
    Ifixit sells genuine Apple parts, if you want Chinese knockoff items that won't work, fit or function right try eBay.

5. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Most people seem to have good experiences with iResQ. Try them!

6. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

You'll not make much money
    Parts for the 4 are expensive
    Most people woould just rather go to apple

$200 for a screen on ifixit
    Apple charge much for a replacement ?

7. wordoflife, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm pretty sure that with an iPhone 4, you'll have to buy both glass+screen part for any of the scenarios you listed above since they are glued together. I would try apple, and see if they'll replace it for free.

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I use a Chinese site called Dealextreme but I find that sometimes they don't ship what exactly is pictured and some of their item descriptions can be sketchy at best. It's cheap as hell however.

9. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Back when I purchased parts for my 3G, I had good experience here: www.pdaparts.com