Repairing my iMac under warranty - no Applecare

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jay24888, Jul 11, 2012.

1. jay24888, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

jay24888 macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    These forums look helpful and look like a good starting point with my issue.

I have a 27" iMac 3.1GHz Quad Core i5. This was purchased on 29th December 2010 for £1699. From the very first day i've had issues with it switching off by itself etc - but just recently (3-4 weeks ago) the left side of the screen has been flickering and now it is just dark. I've attached an image.

photo.jpg

So I went and spoke to an Apple staff member in the store and they told me it would be roughly £400-£500 if I need a new screen (which is ridiculous considering the unit cost me £1700 just a year and a half ago!).

I decided to send a straight forward - not rude email to tcook@apple.com asking for assistance with this as the iMac is only 6-7 months out of warranty. I was then contacted by an executive relations person that I thought was going to help, she asked me to send pictures etc and describe the issue - after a week I have had a call today from her to say that they can't cover the cost for the screen because it is out of warranty, however ADMITTED it seems like a defective hardware issue.

I am absolutely stunned that Apple are stating they can't do anything considering it is an issue with the unit - I completely understand electrical products fail with age but the mac is only 18-19 months old! I have been an Apple customer for years, I have an iPhone 4s, iPad 2 and have owned macs for over 10 years, i've spent £1000's of pounds on their products and they aren't going to help me out with a fix for a "defective" hardware issue.

Is there anything I can do - I've heard about the case regarding the EU law with 2 years warranties but I don't have a clue what I can do about it. I don't have £500 extra to spend on getting this fixed.

Incase this matters - the iMac was purchased with PC World under one of their buy now pay 6 months later offers.

Thanks for any help!

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

The first thing I have to ask is why you didn't get the day 1 issue fixed under warranty by day 2 or 3... I'm sure that wasn't healthy for the screen.

3. jay24888 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did.

When I say from the very first day I didn't mean it literal sorry, it was around the 6th month mark that the iMac started switching off by itself and wouldn't switch back on until I switched it off by the mains - I did bring it to the Apple store to get it fixed and they had a look at it and said they didn't see any problems but restored the mac back to factory, it's only done it once or twice from then.

4. tikitommy macrumors regular

You gambled and you lost.

If the issue first happened 6 months in, then again before year 1 was up, you should have taken it in again and asked for a repair or replacement. I am constantly aware of when the initial warranty period is to expire. And if I think there is any chance i may have issues, i take it in before the year is up or purchase Applecare right before the first year is up.

That Apple gives you the option to buy Applecare anytime up to the first year, you should have purchased it when you had an issue. If nothing ever happened in the first 18 months, I would understand your frustration.

You forgoed a $180 Applecare and now face £400-£500 to repair.

5. jay24888 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, can you read before you reply...

THIS issue with the left hand side of the screen failing is only 3-4 weeks old. I HAD an issue with the iMac switching itself off which I got sorted within the warranty period. I didn't gamble with anything - do you really think if I had this issue 6 months in I would've left it a year to go to an Apple store...

6. dearlaserworks macrumors regular

Looks like the backlight on one side died. This appears to show same:

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/44672/Is+it+possible+to+replace+only+the+backlight

In one response on that page, I see a link to a source for parts, but I don't know how feasible or hard that repair would be.

7. jay24888 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, Thanks. Just read through that - he said he replaced the backlight board and it didn't help. I've also just read lots of forum posts and online discussions about this issue - it's happened with so many people with 27" iMac's. Surely this is a problem with the actual unit that Apple should fix!

Why is it only happening to 27" iMacs that where purchased 2010/early 2011??

8. tikitommy macrumors regular

Why didn't you buy the Applecare anyhow?

Ive bought one for each iphone except the 4S (didnt like being forced to buy day one).

But anything larger than an iPad, i'm buying the Applecare. For very little, you buy peace of mind for 3 years rather than gambling that all will be well in years 2 and 3.

9. jay24888 thread starter macrumors newbie

Because I've never had any issues with any of my previous mac's within the first 3 years so I couldn't justify spending an extra £200 on a £1700 product that I could just about afford.

This is a product that cost me alot of my hard earned money. If I drop the mac or spill water on it then fair enough - it's my fault. However to have a unit of this price fail on me in 18 months is ridiculous. Not to mention a lot of other people are having the same issue which makes me suspect there is an issue with the 27" LCD's around the time of purchase - yet Apple expect me to now fork out another £500 to repair their issue.

10. Slow Programmer macrumors regular

If you live in GB you should have a two year warranty. Apple just got slapped over their handling of Apple Care sales in countries where two year warranties are mandated by commerce laws. Look up the warranty rules for where you live and if they apply politely point them out to Apple.

11. jay24888 thread starter macrumors newbie

I live in the UK.

I've pointed this out to them but they don't seem to care. Apparently they only offer a 1 year manufacturers warranty and the seller is 2 years or something - i'm not sure, perhaps someone can explain this to me a little better?

12. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

It means you need to talk to PC World and get them to organize a warranty repair/replace.

13. ancelrick, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

ancelrick macrumors member

ancelrick

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/
    Now, before you get all worked up please note that the 2 year EU thing only kicks in if the defected was present AT THE TIME OF DELIVERY.

Sadly you had a warranty and now you do not. That's it.

If the backlight board was replaced, and that did not fix it, then the problem is the LCD panel itself.

I guess your not familiar with products and warranties but warranties only last for a specific amount of time. Canon, Sony, Dell, Panasonic, LG, Apple, Ford, Toyota, Hotpoint, would all basically tell you the same thing under similar circumstances. Take your broken Vauxhall to the shop after the warranty is up and you'll have the same conversation.

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Op the eu law is sketchy at best and really only covers you if the fault was present during the first year of purchase. You could contact watchdog they will help if they can.

15. jay24888 thread starter macrumors newbie

How can so many people have the same issue - JUST with 27" iMac's??

Isn't that a little suspicious?!

I understand the unit is out of warranty however surely an LCD unit should last longer than 18 months! I have had my TV for over 8 years with no problems at all... if it died tomorrow I wouldn't be contacting Toshiba for a repair.

Most of you are completely misunderstanding the point - This iMac is 18 months old and the LCD has died on me - regardless of whether it is in warranty or not surely Apple should help me out considering the price of their products! Not to mention all of the people having the same problem.

16. Litany macrumors member

Extended warranty is always a gamble to buy it or not. You gambled by not buying it, you lost. Simple as that.

17. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

You seem to be misunderstanding the definition of "warranty".

Yes, the display SHOULD last longer than 18 months, and the vast majority of them do. However, Apple is only LIABLE for 12 months in the absence of AppleCare, and if you chose not to purchase it and the EU law doesn't cover it, it's on you.

Now I'm not sure who "all of the people" are - as I've never heard of this particular issue, I'm betting it's a small minority.

18. jay24888 thread starter macrumors newbie

1 year is not long enough for a product of this price, it's ridiculous for Apple to think this is enough. There is a little aspect of Apple which has saw them be so successful and something Steve Jobs built up well and this is "customer service". Regardless of this mac being out of warranty, Apple should see this as a problem of theirs, there isn't a scratch on the iMac so there are no signs of physical damage. If this was 2 and a half years or so then I wouldn't be complaining, but the fact that it's only 18 months old.

Also, if I purchased a car, i'd get a 5 year warranty because this is what is needed - just like Apple, they should understand 2 years is a reasonable warranty for a product of this price not 1 year, 1 year is barely enough for any type of warranty.

Also, if you type "27" iMac left screen problems" into google, you will see the pages of issues - it also seems to only be the left hand side of the screen. Very suspicious if you ask me.

19. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

So you want them to extend the warranty to 18 months, or 24 months, just for you.

Most PC manufacturers offer 90 day warranties, as I recall. It doesn't matter what the root cause is, a warranty means that's the period for which they are liable and no more. Sometimes they choose to be generous and help out beyond the term.. usually not. Generally the cost of the warranty is baked into the sale price of the item, so if you think that 36 months should be the default warranty, then the computers will start costing $250 more.

If this is a truly systemic issue, then there might be a recall on it in the future. Or perhaps you can get together with everyone you googled and organize a class action suit.

20. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Many things aren't covered by the 5 year warranty. Also a car costs 10-20 times as much as an iMac and a single repair can cost more than an iMac. They also expire by mileage which tends to happen before the year mark.

And just as a car usually has an add on warranty you can buy to extend the coverage, your iMac did as well. You just chose to not buy it.

21. jay24888 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, this is the most un-helpful forum i've ever joined. All of you just don't want to say a bad word about the company, don't get me wrong, I love Apple, everything I own is Apple but there is a point where the company is wrong and in this situation they are. Not just for my sake, for everyone else having the same issue and having to fork out more money on an already very expensive product.

My fact is still present, this unit is only 18 months old and i'm having issues with it that are out of my control, I was after some advice as to what I can try to help get this fixed at the most minimal costs.

I think i'm going to leave it at that - lets just see when one of you are in my shoes, it's not nice having a company take £1700 of your hard earned money then ask for another £500 18 months down the line.

22. tomhut macrumors member

tomhut

I believe the cost of AppleCare for an iMac in the UK is £139, not £200.

As an other commenter has already pointed out, if they included 3 years cover with the machine they would factor that into the retail price. You could see it as a £139 discount on the machine if you choose to give up 2 years of the warranty.

23. Enshrined macrumors newbie

Thats the reason they offer an extended warranty to buy. Cutting the time short saves money on repairs and the cost of the extended warranty more than offsets any repairs that do occur.

No, you're just set-minded to believe only what you want, and not the reality that you're screwed. :)

24. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I don't care what company you're talking about. I'd be telling you the same thing if you were talking about a Samsung phone. Or, by the way, the maker of your 7-year-old TV. You just need to understand what warranty actually means. It doesn't mean "if this thing dies within my expectation of its life it will be fixed for free". It means "if this thing dies within the warranty period and not as a result of physical / water damage, it will be fixed for free".

Your options are:
    - Talk to PC World and see if they can take care of you
    - Attempt the repair yourself via ifixit.com and see if you have better luck
    - Pay Apple to fix it
    - Attempt legal action by endeavoring to prove its a systemic issue

If you can convince PC World that the backlight problem was caused by the initial power problem (which, honestly, isn't too far-fetched), you might have some luck.

Believe it or not I'm not unsympathetic to your plight. You just need to set your expectations for recourse to something more realistic than "Apple needs to fix it for free because I think they should even though my warranty expired 6 months ago".

25. bogatyr macrumors 65816

It doesn't matter what company you bought something from. If you choose to not extend the warranty and the product fails outside the warranty - that is YOUR fault. Not Apple's, not Microsoft's, not Lenovo's, not any freaking manufacturer... just YOU. Quit blaming everyone for your own mistake.

Once you take responsibility for your own inaction, then start looking for a resolution. Either pay Apple to repair it, buy parts to do it yourself or buy a new computer. If you're not happy with Apple, then buy from someone else or build your own. You can also try a 3rd party repair center who may do it cheaper.

I would also suggest that you invest in a 3yr+ warranty on your next desktop.