Repairing Top Case of MBPr

blazeken996

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Hi,

Any idea how much it will cost to get the top cover of the Apple MBPr replaced? There's a scratch that is visible and was done by a friend.

Im talking about the part near the Apple logo.

Thanks!

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I am not sue that they can replace just the outer case. I think the whole thing including the screen would need replacing. Maybe I am wrong but the screen is pretty much stuck to the outer lid from what I have read. Not 100% though. How did your friend do it?

blazeken996

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
I am not sue that they can replace just the outer case. I think the whole thing including the screen would need replacing. Maybe I am wrong but the screen is pretty much stuck to the outer lid from what I have read. Not 100% though. How did your friend do it?
He scratched it against the table, its a pretty deep scratch.

PrestonWard

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012

The display assemble from apple comes in once piece i don't think they can get the bezel separate. The cost at apple to replace the whole screen and bezel is $680.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
The top case and display panel are one piece. There is no way to replace that without replacing the LCD panel. That is, its going to be wicked expensive.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I feel compeled to tell people scared of scratching their macs to buy a protective film. I use a zagg shield on all the macs I buy. It doesnt take away fromthe beautiful unibody design and I dont have to worry about scratches.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I feel compelled to tell people scared of scratching their macs to buy a protective film. I use a zagg shield on all the macs I buy. It doesnt take away fromthe beautiful unibody design and I dont have to worry about scratches.

Coldmode

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2010
Its exactly 2 weeks old... Its really obvious too =S
Sounds like your friend owes you $700.

The display is glued into the housing, so there's no way to replace them separately. You'll have to get an entirely new screen, etc. I'd suggest to just live with it if you can't get your friend to pay for it.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I would also recommend going for a sticker.

Doesn't matter if money is object or not; replacing the top lid over something so miniscule is waste of money.

If you scratch it after the repair, will you pay for another repair? Is there a limit for this? Why not just sell the machine and buy a new one? (You'll probably lose less)