Reparations for Black Americans?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Digital Skunk, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Been looking for this thread for a while now, and with the rise in just about every other topic I felt very curious to read what others think about the topic of reparations for the descendants of African American slaves in some way. shape or form.

When I do hear comments like this:

It doesn't get me upset, but it does make me realize not too many people consider the 300 years of oppression and ongoing effects of it deserves a second thought.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so for how long must reparations be paid until its supposedly "even"

nothing will erase what slavery did but where do you draw the line with reparations? im curious

why not devote those resources to help inner city children have a chance at better education and not focus on a specific race?

sorry, i dont believe in reparations. yes slavery was an ugly mark in american history but it is our past. with that said, lets help those in need now no matter the race. thats my opinion so take it for what its worth

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

And by second thought you mean money?
    I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but don't reparations cause a lot of resentment. And What about people who are half black half white? Should they send themselves a check or what?

4. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

It's fine to have an opinion, I pretty much expressed mine.

As for the reparations, what you mentioned would be one of the ways in which it could be handled. Find a predominantly black city/town/area and pour money into it. Fund a black school or university. Create scholarships and housing programs.

And no, not every race deserves it simply because these are different times and slavery was bad and was the past. So was the holocaust but reparations were paid. So was the genocide of the Native Americans, and the imprisonment of Japanese American's.

To simply shrug off the suffering of blacks for the past 300 years that has only stopped during the past 50 years as being the 'past' let's forget about it is simply callous. IMHO.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Will the Dutch, British and even Blacks in Africa, who all participated in the slave trade, be included in this windfall?? :rolleyes:

6. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Glad you posted this comment. It shows the incredible lack of knowledge on the part of some.

No, just the part that involves the Black American's...

You know.... like, the ones that are American. :rolleyes:

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Does this include black Americans who's ancestry had nothing to do with slavery?

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what about those who have family ties to slavery in egypt, asia or whatnot and are currently americans? or is it simply those affected by slavery that was at one point practiced in the US?

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

How do we decide how much is owed, and to whom?

More importantly, is it right to put a price on "slavery", pay out, and call the issue finished? That's pure madness. No reparation of any kind could ever "solve" or "put right" past events.

The only way to deal with such things is to do the right thing going forward.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Now don't go all "vague" on us.

Are you saying they had no part in the original slaves being transported from Africa?

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

He's using that as a deflection and implying that for some reason we shouldn't worry about them.

12. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

No, I am not. But of course you would take his comment seriously, given that I did state African American in my thread title. Meaning said reparations should be for more than just slavery, hence the need NOT to include asking the European and West African countries (many of which have ceased to exist) for compensation.

Yes!

This link says it plainly.

Time also has an interesting article about the more recent incidents.

Reparations are not just needed for slavery. That's the idea that needs to get out of people's heads. It's also for the Jim Crow era, and a good portion of the 1900's.

No, just that it's not about asking for reparations from those that didn't benefit as much as the American nation. Also, those that had no part in the oppression and wrong doings of the years after slavery.

Attached Files:

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Funny thing is, it is one of the most common tax scam perpetrated by black american scam artists against other americans from their own race.

---

Of course, I'm all for giving anyone wanting reparations, 10k dollars and a 1 way ticket back to Africa in exchange for their US citizenship. ;)

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No, that crime warranted prosecution, not reparations.

How are descendants of those people involved in a lynching accountable for their ancestor's actions??

Is this like Original Sin??

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

well absolutely none of my ancestry had to do with African American slavery so I refuse to pay any sort of reparations or feel guilt (guilt for my ancestors, I do feel empathy for those affected, not their children) for jim crow laws or slavery.

In fact, I think I should have some reparations coming my way for anti-gay laws and bigotry and harassment against anyone not heterosexual.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

its like saying im responsible for my father's debt:cool:

id like to be held accountable for my actions, not others

17. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Way wrong, and shows a lack of understanding of the issue.

You logic would imply that the Holocaust just needed the legal actions that were taken shortly after the war.

No need to feel guilt, and technically we'd all be paying them if the American government were to pay them.

Plus, give the links a read. They give good insight into some ways they could be distributed.

Truth is you can ask for reparations for anti-gay harassment and bigotry, and you will get it before black Americans get any for their oppression and bigotry.

Jesus was a Jew, as were the early Christians.

18. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

if i had to pay that i would move to another country they shouldn't get it otherwise the Jews should pay Christians for killing Jesus

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No it doesn't, it shows a differing opinion. If anything you have not produced one bit of evidence to support why one person should pay for another person's crimes.

Now who is the one with the lack of understanding?

20. Surely Guest

Surely

I didn't know that the Romans were Jewish.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

but not all receiving them, which i guess is the point of reparations.

i had nothing to do with slavery. i ididnt control what actions my ancestors did. my ancestors werent even in the US during the 1800's. why should i have to pay reparations?

any evidence of that claim?

22. Surely Guest

Surely

I just moved to the US from Canada this year. Will I have to pay too?

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Hey, maybe New Englanders and others *coughCanadianscough* can get in on this, what with them supporting the Underground Railroad and all. :rolleyes:

A friend of mine's Grandfather had a farm in Nova Scotia, thanks to those abolitionists. Can he get a cut too??

24. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

My ancestors didn't swim over here from Africa, why did they have to suffer in the American South?

I wasn't a slave, nor was I alive during Jim Crow, nor did I have anything to do with much of American history prior to my first time voting, but why do I have to see the effects of slavery and such other times of oppression on others like me, and myself included.

That's a great idea! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.