Repeal and Replace

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Populism, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Full article:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/19/kam...ush-to-repeal-and-replace-trump-tax-cuts.html

2. raqball macrumors 68000

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

GOP - buys the votes of rich people.

Democrats - 'buy' votes of the majority.

I wonder which is a better strategy?

4. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Yeah. That's a stupid idea, too. Why don't we do this? Get rid of the tax cuts, as they are and start fresh. Give across the board cuts to everyone who pays taxes, as well as businesses and do some serious cuts to spending. Spend the next few years getting the economic house in order and wrangling the debt. Operate on ZERO deficits with a balanced budget (balanced by cuts to spending, not increased taxation). And let's pare down government, at ALL levels to a more Constitutional and tax payer friendly entity. This buying of votes by gift giving that Harris endorses is a terrible idea and does nothing to address our very serious problems with spending, debt and deficits. I can't take her seriously when she signs on to crap like this.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Politicians will never do this. Money = power. Just look at how they howl when a scheduled 5% increase is reduced to a 4% increase. It is like the world is ending.

6. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Boy was that a "skirting accuracy" post :eek:
    --- Post Merged, Oct 19, 2018 ---
    Politicians tax and spend. It is their nature.

7. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Except that Republicans have taken to borrowing and spending, which really is much worse.

8. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

I will say the last two President's did a good bit of that.

9. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Trump's tax cuts should be repealed as they are expected to add $1.5 trillion to the national debt over the next decade. It was fiscally irresponsible and only done to reward the GOP's rich donors and cater to special interests, including the Senators themselves and the President.

10. Populism, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018

Populism thread starter macrumors regular

Populism

I know that no PRSI’er will ask, so my apologies for the lean:

Do you have a link for that claim? All coo if I missed it.

Or is this a Dear Diary post?

11. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

As I'm not writing a term paper here, I don't feel the need to look up references. My statements were not pulled out of a hat but have been public knowledge. The bulk of the cuts went to the higher brackets. Middle class Americans were serenaded about the doubling of the standard deduction but the GOP was quiet on the elimination of personal exemptions. The corporate cuts have resulted in a wave of stock buybacks while workers' real wages have stagnated. Before the vote, Senators were scurrying around adding last minute items some of which benefited them directly, such as Corker.

As for Trump, he refuses to show us his tax returns so we don't have the whole picture, but knowing the nature of his businesses he will benefit from the pass-through tax break and continue to get the deduction for golf course owners who promise to never to build on their links. Interest expenses for loans on commercial real estate remain deductible in many cases, even as that benefit is reduced for most other industries. Of course he lied when he said the new tax law would be bad for him personally, but what else is new?

Need I continue? Well, here's one link for you:
    Top GOP congressman: My donors told me to pass the Republican tax bill or 'don't ever call me again'
    https://www.businessinsider.com/chris-collins-donors-trump-tax-plan-bill-2017-11

Rep. Chris Collins, a New York Republican, on Tuesday cited pressure from donors as an imperative for the GOP to pass its tax bill.

"My donors are basically saying, 'Get it done or don't ever call me again,'" Collins told reporters.

12. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

But is that cut/comparison in dollars or percent? I think it is in dollars.