replace dvd-drive with a combo in a powerbook?

mywar2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
central Cali.
Hey all,

I'm wondering if it is possible to replace a broken dvd drive in a powerbook 500 with a new combo drive? How much is the combo drive? Does apple even sell that part seperately? I am technically adept, so I don't think the installation would be a problem. Any ideas?! Thanks a bunch.

Jeremy

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: replace dvd-drive with a combo in a powerbook?

Originally posted by mywar2000
Hey all,

I'm wondering if it is possible to replace a broken dvd drive in a powerbook 500 with a new combo drive? How much is the combo drive? Does apple even sell that part seperately? I am technically adept, so I don't think the installation would be a problem. Any ideas?! Thanks a bunch.

Jeremy
The combo drive is only available for/in the Rev B. powerbooks, namely the 550 and the 667. It is not physically possible to fit the combo drive in the old 400/500, from what I've read. Sorry.

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
sorry, your off about 1 mm, I see there is a powerbook 500 on ebay for $700 or so with a bad dvd drive, did u ask this question b/c u wanted to bid on that drive? I have some other solutions if that is waht u are reffering too.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I understand the inside of the case was modified slightly from the Rev. A to accomodate the combo drive...so I think this means u cannot do it...

can anyone verify this to be certain?