Replace Macbook Pro fan – INSTEAD of cleaning it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Boullan, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Boullan macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, new poster here.

I have a mid-2010 "Unibody" Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I opened it up some six months ago, in order to clean out the massive amounts of dust which are clogging up the fan.

It didn't work.

Carefully blowing compressed air into the fan didn't quite have the dramatic effect it has in videos such as this one – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2gtjhv7m-Q (check the 2:45 mark!). For whatever reason, the dust just kinda stayed there.

So I wonder: Would it be wiser to just replace the fan with a new one?

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

You *could* replace it but I suggest trying again with more air. The dust will eventually come out. Maybe taking the fan out and then using air would help more than leaving it in the computer.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If the dust is staying there it's either mixed with tar from tobacco smoke or a greasy environment ie- open plan living kitchen area.

4. Boullan thread starter macrumors newbie

@astroboy907 - I'll try taking it all the way out next time. Thanks for the tip!

@Gav2k - Care to propose a solution? Thanks in advance.

5. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I'm not saying you should actually do this, but maybe take the fan out and washing it in 70% (91% is better) isopropyl alcohol and let it dry completely before putting it back in and running it. Of course this might ruin it, with the oil in the bearings and all. Better let someone else chime in on that idea before giving it a go ;)

Moreso, I think the "grille" heatsink where the fan sucks/blows through would probably be the most clogged place.