Replace Phone 4 Home button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nicolas4ever, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

today my iphone 4 home button replacement came. and before i start disassembling the phone to replace it i was wondering if i have to apply adhesive again?:p or i am good to go?

2. Nicolas4ever thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

actually its urgent:/ i need to know before i start..i was dealing with a dead home button for 2 months.

3. Nicolas4ever thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

4. Nicolas4ever thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

Thanks for the reply. i am going to do it tomorrow . I hope i dont break sth during the disassembling and the reverse .

5. iClive macrumors regular

Just take your time, handle the delicate components very carefully, and follow the step by step guide suggested above.

The trickiest parts of this job in my experience are removal and re-installation of the LCD/digitizer and refitting the home button connector.

6. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

Make sure you don't lose the little piece of metal on the wifi antenna. If you do then you won't be able to get a wifi signal.

Also, be careful when removing home button flex cable from the connector port. If you don't release the clip just right it will break off easily.

7. Nicolas4ever thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

well i wasn't at home and i will replace my button one of these days...thanks everyone for the help...i hope everything will roll out well lol..and for the wi-fi antenna as i understood is to not loose the metal under the screw? ;P

8. yegon macrumors 68020

Jailbreak, install Zephyr, forget about the home button.

9. Nicolas4ever thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

well i prefer to use the home button is more practical and i prefer having everything working in my devices.

10. Nicolas4ever thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

damn =.= today i replaced the home button everything went good...started up my phone and still the same problem.:(

11. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

If you replaced the actual home button itself, It probably wouldn't be fixed. It likely wasn't your button. The button is just s little plastic disc that covers the contact in the flex cable. Not much can really go wrong with a plastic button. The problem you are having is more likely a bad flex cable. If the flex cable is good, the metal disc that the flex cable rests on may have slipped out of place. Does your button still click? or does it press down without any tactile response?

Replacing the flex cable isn't that hard. Same process as replacing the button and as an extra step, peel the adhesive off the new cable, attach it to your home button, then thread it through the midplate to the backside. you will see the lever type connector that it connects to.

I fix iPhones & iPods at a shop 15-20 hours a week, feel free to PM if you need help.

12. Nicolas4ever thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

no i replaced and the plastic and the flex cable:/