Replaced battery, but still have a lot of battery drain

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by eggman2001, Apr 10, 2015.

1. eggman2001 macrumors newbie

I just replaced the battery on my ipad mini with a new one from directfix. However, the battery drain is horrible now. I measured that my charge went from 23% to 4% in 13 hours while in standby mode.

Clearly, this kind of battery drain is not normal, and my question is, whether this is likely a faulty battery, or something else that could be going awry.

2. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Make sure you investigate potential software causes first. Go to battery usage and see what ranks at the top of the usage table.

Things I usually do right after setting up a new device:
    1) Turn off Background App Refresh. It's just dumb and pointless and takes way too much battery.
    2) Turn off Location-based iAds, Wi-Fi networking, Frequent Locations, Diagnostics & Usage, Popular Near Me, and Routing & Traffic.

Those two things alone pretty much double my battery life. Furthermore, make sure you're keeping tabs on any misbehaving apps that use your location 24/7. I use a movie theatre app (Cineplex) and for whatever reason it's always requesting location even if I haven't run it for weeks. There are plenty of dumb app developers out there who request location excessively for no reason, so make sure you're good at stopping that.

3. eggman2001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips. I was worried after I replaced the battery, but it seems to be good now.

4. Alan Mac Farlan macrumors regular

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/system-monitor-ultimate/id740765454?mt=8

there is a free diagnostic app for the iPhone and I understand it works for the iPad.

this one has 6 stars on the reviews ... I checked it out and it gives lots of information that might be useful.

Also ... turn your iPad off ... wait a few seconds .. and then turn it on for a re-boot ... do that ... about once a day is good.

my very warmest regards.

Alan

:apple::apple::apple:

5. eggman2001 thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked it out, but it doesn't seem to tell me which apps could be causing issues.

On a separate note, I did notice a lot of battery drain coming from Safari and I read that a bug with icloud syncing could be causing that so I went ahead and disabled it.

Thanks for the tip on daily re-booting. I'll try that.

6. Alan Mac Farlan macrumors regular