REPLACED BOTTOM COVER OF late 2009 uMBP 17" NOW SERIAL IS GONE & IT WON'T TURN ON!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macboywonder, Mar 24, 2010.

1. macboywonder macrumors newbie

The subject line says it all...

The issue is that the late 2009 17" macbook pro unibody will not power on and the bottom case cover has been replaced, meaning it does not have the original serial number that was laser etched in. I am trying to locate the serial number of the machine, but again, it does not turn on so I cannot just go to "About This Mac." So my question is: is there anywhere on the logic board I can look for the serial number? I have some good eyes so i don't mind looking for any of the small characters on the board. The numbers on the RAM casing on the late 2008 model was the actual serial number. But the numbers now on the late 2009 ram case are not the serial number. I tried typing it into Apple's support site for warranty verification, but it is not correct. It looks like the actual serial because it starts with a W8921...but the numbers after those characters make it an invalid serial number.

And incase you are wondering, I bought it used and it was working fine when I bought it. The back cover was already replaced when I purchased it, so it never had the serial. But I do recall seeing the serial in "About This Mac," only thing is that I never bothered to write it down. Now that the computer won't turn on, this big investment of mine is just a heavy paperweight! =(

Any assistance would be appreciated...Thank you!

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you remove the bottom plate/panel, if you look where the RAM is seated, there should be your serial number printed there. If not, try removing the hard drive to see if the serial number is printed along the wall of the hard drive bay.

3. macboywonder thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying. As mentioned in my original post, the number on the RAM case looks like the serial but it is not it. it's too long and has weird characters after the first 4 characters. I tried it on Apple's site, and it wouldn't take it. And the mid 2009 unibody now does not have a sticker under the battery or hard drive for serial. I find it baffling that Apple would ONLY put the serial on the bottom of the case. What are people to do when they're in my situation? I figured they would put it SOMEWHERE inside the system.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's why I would never buy a computer without the serial number showing. Too much likelihood of buying a stolen unit, not to mention the difficulty in getting it serviced.

5. macboywonder thread starter macrumors newbie

It wasn't stolen. I had taken it to apple and we looked up the serial number from about this mac and verified it is under warranty. i just don't have the number anywhere written and i never registered it online. i'm stuck.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

As far as I know, you're out of luck. For the MacBook Pro's with the non-removable battery serial number can be found on...

1) the box
    2) bottom plate of the MacBook Pro
    3) About This Mac

The only other option is to go to Apple. If it's a mid-2009 MacBook Pro, it should still be under AppleCare and to diagnose/repair should cost you nothing.

7. macboywonder thread starter macrumors newbie

Right you are my friend....but apple won't take it unless they have a serial number to associate it with...understandably. They need it to create a ticket in the system.

and i refuse to believe apple would not put the serial number anywhere else on the inside where it can't be removed (unlike the bottom case/cover).

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Sure but that can be done after the repair is completed. They can create a file with just your information.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Of course, Apple could say they refuse to believe a user would not write down and keep the serial number, especially if they knew the bottom cover had been removed/replaced.

10. jpeezy macrumors regular

Have you bothered to make sure that the cover is snapped into place? I believe there are 2 snaps about 2 inches from center horizontally. I noticed a pressure switch located near the battery, which I can only assume is "kill" switch. Just a suggestion, I may be way off but its worth a try.

11. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Did you get the original packaging when you bought it?

12. Demiurge28 macrumors newbie

Serial # is supposed to be written on inside of bottom case when part is replaced.

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I know the OP said it's not located on the RAM slot but the 13" MacBook Pro has it so I find it weird that his doesn't have it.

[​IMG]

14. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

Did you keep the bottom cover, or was it repaired by someone else?

15. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

I'll just assume this because why else wouldn't it work... Unless someone zapped the logic board while changing the bottom cover.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

He bought the computer used and the bottom cover was already changed when he purchased said unit.

One question I have is why did the original owner change the cover and the damage he inflicted on it, that made him change it, in fact damage the laptop in some way that hastened its death? If that was the case (no pun intended) then apple would deny any warranty.

Either way, you'll have a hard time getting apple to fix it under warranty.