Replaced Hard drive, Formated, Now there is no info on backup drive from Time Machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dj.k86, Jul 17, 2009.

1. dj.k86 macrumors newbie

i just replaced my hard drive today. i booted it up and went to disk utilities to format it and all of that. When i finished i went to restore system from back up and plugged in my external hard drive and the computer said there was no history of back up. This was strange because before i formated the hard drive and tried to restore the information, it recognized that there was back up information. I decided i would re-install the os and try again. Any help is appreciated.

2. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

That's weird, I backed up my 13" before I sold it, then got a new 15" Pro and during setup it asked if I wanted to transfer any external drives to the computer, I just plugged it in and it transferred everything, you didn't get that option when you re-installed it?

3. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Make sure you named the new drive the exact same name as the old drive... so TM will think it's the same drive. That's the only thing I can think of at the moment..

4. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

Once you have formatted the new drive, restart the Mac with the backup drive plugged in and everything should be seen at this point. Whenever I install a new drive, I have always had to boot with the DVD, partition and format the new drive and then restart for the Mac to see the Time Machine backup on my USB HDD. Hope this helps.

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

This is why I use SuperDuper. No hassles cloning for hard drive replacements.

6. dj.k86 thread starter macrumors newbie

i fixed it by just installing the os and trying it again. Now the battery wobbles around in the chassis of the computer. i am not sure why but i think it might be that because one of the screws could be loose on the outside b/c i didnt touch it on the inside. any ideas?

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It might not be related to your problem but I still think Time Machine, while the idea/concept is good, is immature and there are a lot of problems to fix and things to change because the way it works is just too sensitive. If not that, the way you backup/restore, you have to do it at specific times or it won't work (doing it during install process vs. trying to do it after install in that case won't necessarily work). I'm pretty sure Apple is working on improving Time Machine but I wouldn't recommend it as a first backup option (especially with the amount of bundle and disk errors which ultimately destroys the backup data).