Replaced my internal HDD and SuperDrive with an SSD and HDD. How to transfer files?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Casteiron, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Casteiron macrumors newbie

So I had my internal 500gb HDD replaced with a 128 gig SSD and the optical drive replaced with a 1TB HDD. I had the whole system backed up by Time Machine so I used Migration Assistant to transfer only my apps, settings and the old user account but with none of the other folders selected (the folders with all of my audio files, sessions, projects and media) because they couldn't fit on the SSD.

My idea was to have the system files and apps on the SSD and everything else on the 1TB internal drive but I'm having a problem here.

How the hell do I get the rest of the folders under the user in Migration Assistant to the 1TB internal drive? By default it just tries to go to the SSD but there's no room. I need it on the other drive.

Any idea how I can fix this? I have a recording session in 10 hours and the session files and media is only the Time Capsule backed up.

2. idufour macrumors member

I think that the best solution for you is to make a fusion drive... OSX by its own it will acomodate your files...

3. Casteiron thread starter macrumors newbie

Spent many hours trying to figure out if/how I could do that earlier but from what I understand, every DIY method doesn't work on 2011 MBP 8,2 which mine is.

I see where the files are on the Time Machine but I can't access or transfer them because of permissions. If I can get around this permission issue I can just copy the folders over to the new hdd.

Any idea how to fix these permissions?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Put that old 500GB drive into a USB enclosure and boot from that.

Then use CCC to clone the main parts of your drive to your new SSD.

Then clone the rest of the stuff to your 1TB HDD.

5. Casteiron thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, that would have been a viable solution but the enclosure the guy gave me doesn't work and I'm supposed to be recording a session in a few hours.

But I've just discovered where the files are on the Time Capsule and apparently dragging the folders to the desktop then to the 1TB internal removes this Denied Permissions error I was getting.

I think I may have finally found a fix for everything.