Replaced screen in MBP 17", apple logo comes up then screen goes to vertical lines.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rijebaud, Sep 11, 2010.

1. rijebaud macrumors newbie

I replaced my cracked LCD screen on my 17" macbook pro, and upon firing up you hear the chime, and the apple logo comes up just fine. Then after that it goes to horizontal lines, and no image on it. If I plug in an external, it shows up just fine on it, and if I put in the original cracked screen, I can see my desktop and everything as well. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Did you recheck the connections? Also are you sure you bought the right panel?

3. rijebaud thread starter macrumors newbie

Here are the images

Here are the images, one shows it with the cracked screen but working, one shows the screen after the apple logo comes up, and the final one shows the 65" tv I have plugged in as an extra monitor to prove the computer is working while the screen comes up with the vertical lines.

Attached Files:

4. rijebaud thread starter macrumors newbie

The panel appears to work on boot up, just not afte that. It is supposed to be a compatable panel for it, and if it didnt work, I would not think that the apple logo would pop up at the beginning, but I could be wrong. The connections are golden, and I can put in the old screen and have it pop right up with no problem.

5. iGoogler macrumors member

I know nothing about this topic or what is going on but it appears that the computer and screen work but your actual OS is not displaying on the monitor. It couldnt be the connection but try doing a pRAM reset (google it).

Best of luck

6. rijebaud thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the PRAM reset, and now the new screen wont come on at all

Command, Option, P, and R are the four keys I read to hold simultaneously whe I power it on, which I did. It restarted, and the screen stayed black, with not even the apple logo coming up. Trying a few more things, before I remove the screen again.

7. racedude macrumors member

Are you referring to the Apple logo during the bootup sequence, or the Apple logo on the outside of the lid?

8. rijebaud thread starter macrumors newbie

The apple logo during the bootup

9. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

FWIW, you may need to do the sleep method. That is booting it with the old panel plugged in, sleep the system (Apple -> Sleep), disconnect the old panel, connect the new panel, and wake the system. See if that makes it display properly. If it does, shut it down and screw the system back together.

There are caveats to this method. Waking the system while it is closed can cause the screen to get funky again. Also trying to use boot camp or a different OS besides OS X can cause display issues. Finally, resetting the PRAM can also cause the screen to freak out again.

A similar thing happened to my 15" when I put a 1920x1200 display on it. PRAM reset didn't work, only the sleep method I mentioned above fixed it.

10. rijebaud thread starter macrumors newbie

The sleep method worked like a charm, until I restarted, then its back to funky. This makes absolutely no sense.

11. drambuie macrumors 6502a

Actually, it does make sense. The sleep and swap success shows that the panel is functionally compatible with the OS and video card/driver, and all is okay when the OS doesn't have a chance to sense the new panel. However, on restart there is something that the OS doesn't like, or understand when it reads the panel info to initialize the video, that causes the video corruption.

12. rijebaud thread starter macrumors newbie

Any insight on what that may be? Thanks for the help.

13. rijebaud thread starter macrumors newbie

kick ass, it works finally

Allright, got it working. What I did was put in the old cracked monitor, fired it up, and after it logged in, put that monitor to sleep. Then I swapped the monitors, and fired it back up. Upon relogin, the new monitor worked (like it had been when I did this before), and I quickly set the resolution to one of the lowest settings, which I new any monitor could handle. Then I shut it down, took out the battery, and the power cord to test, and pressed the power button to discharge any buildup. I plugged it back in, and viola! it worked like a charm!

I hope this thread helps out others in this situation.

14. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Ahh... So your replacement screen can't handle the same resolution as the original, guess that's not technically a compatible screen, as the specs are different. At least you've gotten the thing working dude. Congrats.

15. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Couldn't you set it to the lowest resolution with the old cracked screen in place and then swap them?

16. drambuie macrumors 6502a

That's good. The thing to try now, is switch that screen to the MPB's normal resolution while it's running. If that works, then you know for certain that it's a startup issue when OSX tries to initialize the screen. Also, if it works at normal resolution, you'll have to remember to lower the resolution each time you shut down the MPB, unless you don't mind working at a lower resolution.

17. rijebaud thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to put the res back at 1680x1050 without a hitch. The screen I ended up replacing with was an exact LG match, which is why I dont know what was going on. At least it works now, after many, many times of disassembly and reassembly.

18. stevei983 macrumors newbie

Same problem

I have a early 2008 15" MBP. I had a busted screen so I ordered this replacement . All of the model numbers match. The manufacturers of the screen are even the same. The only difference that I can find between the two in regards to information on the sticker is that one says made in China and the other says in Taiwan.

Nonetheless when I first installed the screen I was getting a white Apple Logo then after boot I received the vertical lines.

I reset the PRAM, when that didn't work I found this forum and read through it all.

If I boot the computer with the old display and do the Sleep Swap method... upon awakening, the new lcd displays properly

As soon as I restart the machine I've got the lines again. I did make sure to pull the battery and discharge power from the machine by holding the power button down with no luck.

I'm not running bootcamp nor any other OS. So I'm having a hard time understanding this one as well.

I know that this thread is a few years old... but if there is anyone out there that is watching I need some immediate help ..

Thanks