Replacement AT&T iPhone 5's

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jclardy, Apr 25, 2013.

1. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

So my iPhone is fine at this point, but it seems the power button may be starting to fail.

My question is about the "new" AT&T iPhones which now support AWS - will my iPhone be replaced by that (When they have refurb stock I guess) or is it a new model number?

Just wondering as I am most likely going to switch to T-Mobile after my contract expires and would be nice to get an AWS enabled phone as a replacement...

Also, is there a way to tell on the phone itself?

2. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

All I've seen is that it is an updated firmware phone with the same model number. You may play the lotto game to get one refurbished. I bet most exchange iPhones will be the old version as all I've read the new HSPA+ 42 capable phones are being sold as new through AT&T as of April 12.

Doubt a genius will have anymore info on this, but I wouldn't doubt a signifier in the Serial number will come to light allowing you to "check" if your refurb is AWS enabled.

3. jts2 macrumors member

All replacement phones now are T-Mo compatible. I just did that yesterday after hearing from people on this forum that they all are getting the newer model.
    Here is how you check. The last 4 digits of the serial numbers should end with:

FH19
    FH1C
    FH1D
    FH1F
    FH1G
    FH1H

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5720

Hope that helps.

----------

I agree with you on the Genius portion of your post as they have no idea about this. I had the same issue and tried to explain to geniuses earlier about this and they don't seem to get it. They still think each iPhone model is tied to the carrier. I agree that part for Verizon or Sprint for when I try to explain about the T-mo and AT&T, they say that you will be only getting the model that you originally bought. If you bought an ATT, then it will only be ATT.

I rejected the phone as they didn't end up in the serial numbers of T-mo.

Third time, after confirming from many people on this forum, I went to the store and just asked for an exchange for my sleep/wake button issue. When they brought the replacement phone, I just checked the serial numbers ending with the last four digits of Tmo and I took it. Now I am a happy Tmo customer with AWS HSPA. LTE will be around later.

4. macalec macrumors 6502

That is great! My home button also has started to not work on one side. I wonder if they will get me the updated phone for t-mobile.

5. maxosx macrumors 68020

I'm guessing that Apple has and will continue to have a vast supply of iPhone 5's to sell.