Replacement harddrive for new powerbook

ooagentbender

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2002
I was just wondering if there are after market hard drives for the powerbooks that are larger than 60gigs. I know ther would probably be expensive considering their size but stupid questions are my strong suite.

Take it easy.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I think currently 60GB is the biggest available for internal usage...

I don't think an 80GB is too far off though...but I'm not completely down with all the developer info... ;)

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2002
Dallas, TX
Travelstar 80 GN

Hitachi now own IBM's HD business. They have a new drive for notebooks called the Travelstar 80 GN. It holds 80 GB.

http://www.hgst.com/hdd/travel/tr80gn.htm

That is the biggest HD for notebooks for now. It is 2.5" wide. I think it will fit into a PowerBook. I am not sure on the dimensions on the PowerBook HD. I own an eMac.

I read somewhere at Tomshardware that a 120-160 GB HD for notebooks will be out by this Summer. These new drives use that magic "pixie dust" which doubles the capacity.

Pete
:D

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Grr...IBM's "pixie dust" has been around for a while...its technology is used in the Travelstar 40 GNX today...

Anyway, does anyone know how one would go about replacing the HD on the new Alubooks? Because I don't see any screws that one would unscrew...am I missing something here?

ooagentbender

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2002
The firewire drive would be a good idea but if Im traveling I don't want to have that in my briefcase with me. I still need room for the ipod im going to purchase. :)