Replacement iPhone 5 Options

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by camhabib, Oct 28, 2012.

1. camhabib macrumors regular

Received an iPhone 5 (via in store reservation) with dust under screen and camera. What are my options on receiving a new (not refurb or genius bar part) phone? Make another reservation, call Apple, genius bar, etc?

2. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

Why do you need a "new" replacement? I doubt any of the replacement phones at the moment are refurbs yet. The phone's only been out for a month. I guess you could give Apple a call, or return the phone and buy again.

3. itjw macrumors 65816

Thanks to the OCD crowd churning through the "new" white boxes in the hopes of finding perfection (usually only to take home a phone they thought was "flawless" and find a tiny speck of silver on the chamfer and repeat the process anyway), they are now all 99% REFURB.

It is not too soon.

They have PLENTY to refurb since the first week.

It takes less time (and money) to refurb than to produce a NEW phone (that they sell out of, daily, as fast as they put out).

I wish people would STOP assuming there aren't refurbs yet. It's common sense (and has been CONFIRMED to me by 2 store managers as having been occurring since week THREE!).

Get over it. You are trading in a USED phone, and getting a better REFURB (ie without the problem you had) in return.

They owe you nothing more than that.

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

This subject is always going to emotive and fire up different opinions.

My opinion is any item one is purchasing should be in pristine condition out of the box, pristine being in ones own judgement that the item is acceptable, unless your purchasing a knowingly less than perfect product at a reduced cost.

5. Merkie macrumors 68020

Do you have anything to back this up except the store managers? Two weeks ago I was told by a Genius that there were no refurbs yet (or remanufactured as they call it). I also haven't seen anyone posting evidence that their white box phone was a refurb (serial number, whatever).

I also don't agree with your statement that refurbs take less time. Refurbs aren't "repackaged" phones that were returned, they are phones that use internal parts from returned phones and they all have a new shell. They basically go through the same production line.

6. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I agree with you, actually this morning I had my iPhone 5 replaced as the home button stopped working correctly...the genius, who i actually know told me there are NO refurbs yet! Basically staff can say what they wish, it's up to you what you believe, but I would not go shouting it about just because a manager told you! I have had my claim confirmed by 5 Genius Bar members plus a manager, all who i know personally. (in other words, they would not BS me)

7. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

Genius and manager at my local last week told me there were no refurbs yet. I'm just stating what I was told by Apple.

8. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

There are no refurbs, I've been sent 2 replacements , brand new and sealed.

And yes Apple will replace yours.

9. kalexn macrumors 6502

Good thing is though that the Refurbs people will be getting more than likely have absolutely NOTHING wrong with them. Don't they recase refurbs anyway? So the phone you would be getting would be new, just minus the casing that the ocd person turned it down for in the first place.

10. itjw macrumors 65816

Yes, and they do.

And outside of information directly from Tim Cook, I take the info I get from the people who actually manage those distribute the phones pretty seriously.

Geniuses, half the time, don't even understand where white box phones come from. They'll swear they're ALL new (even the 4 my wife swapped out a few months ago... they promised her it was BRAND new (an obvious lie just from looking at it, as they didn't bother replacing the SIM tray (which showed obvious wear)). Frankly, most of the time they tell you what you want to hear to move you along (without pitching a "but I don't waaaannnnnt a refurb" fit).

How long does it take them to put a new housing on essentially a brand new phone (because that is all they need to do with 5 refurbs given the "defect" on most of them). When they refurbish the phone, they look at the reason cited by the genius for the swap, fix the problem, slap a new exterior on it, and VOILA: Refurb.

It takes LESS time for them to do that (with 99% of the OCD speck of silver returns), than it does to build and ship a brand new phone from China.

A brand new phone they would MUCH rather sell at retail, than white box only do be rejected by another OCD'er on a quest for perfection.

You have to stop looking at this like a consumer and start looking at it like a company with a hot product. They have PLENTY of phones to refurb thanks to returns/exchanges. They have an endless demand for the "new" phones.

Why would they NOT have refurbs out by now? It'd be idiotic and a complete waste of money. Apple is the richest company in the world for a reason... it isn't because they give away new phones when they have a pile of refurbs they just decided to wait to refurbish.

I could be Tim Cook's son and you still wouldn't believe me, but it's reality.

11. itjw macrumors 65816

EXACTLY.

But that isn't good enough for most of the OCD crowd. If the phone isn't brand new, retail boxed, in plastic, they pitch a fit (check out all the threads on this topic if you don't believe me... "Is my white box new?" "How can I tell?" etc...).

Even if they can't TELL it's a refurb it still bugs them if it is.

Kinda funny, but ya, you're right, Apple makes excellent refurbs.

12. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

you guys act like these OCD people are everywhere. I can't lie if I was going to pay $650 for a phone I would want it to be spotless too. And paying $200 upfront with a monthly bill of $135 it better be damn flawless when I get it! Or very close to it.

13. kalexn macrumors 6502

Maybe I am wrong but I think Apple's refurbs are better than any other refurbs you are going to get since they do pay such close attention to them and if you think about it they go through more inspections because they definitely make sure they are as close to perfect as you can get. I don't know if other companies do what they do for their refurbs.

----------

I do agree with you that when you spend that much money you do expect a flawless product but some people were refusing their phones because they had a spot the size of a pinhead. No matter how much quality control is in place nothing is going to be 100% perfect because they are put together by humans and we are not perfect. So to open phone after phone for little marks is completely ridiculous. If you want to find something wrong with it (or with anything) you will.

I think there is a difference between wanting to get a new phone and being completely ocd about every little mark that you have to comb over your phone with a magnifying glass to see.

Just my opinion. :)

14. itjw macrumors 65816

Ok, so let's talk about this "very close to it" condition, since you mention it....

Would it involve a mm or less "scuff" on the chamfered edge? If not, how much "damage" would be ok for "very close" to flawless?

The problem I have is, 90% of the "scuffgate" thread is whining and complaining over minor, hard to notice, needs to be taken with a special light/camera, "damage". It's NOT cracked glass, leaking batteries, non-functional speakers, bad pixels... it's literally "very close to it (perfection)" damage.

But that's NOT ok, for the OCD crowd. Again, they think because they spent ANY amount of money on it, that they deserve a 100% flawless device, regardless of the impact it has on others getting one (and it HAS had an adverse effect on people wanting to get a 5).

So how much "damage" is not too much?

For 99% of the OCD'ers, the answer is: ANY.

15. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Well I have a white iPhone so scratches are non existent. But if like paint was chipping and stuff I wouldn't take it at all. A minor minor scratch wouldn't matter. It has to be noticeable at a glance or a very lazy inspection for me to take it back

16. Merkie macrumors 68020

I agree with your statement that it would make sense to have refurbs now, but it's just that I haven't seen any proof of the existance of a "real" refurbished phone. You can mostly identify them by a special range of serial numbers or whatever.

I also disagree with your statement that it takes less time to swap the housing. Have you even seen the teardown of iFixit? In order to change the housing, you have to get rid of every component first. It would make more sense to gather all the usable parts and send them in a special box to China where they use the parts to "remanufacture" phones. They have all the facilities there for production.

I'd like for you to stop acting like your opinion is the only truth and the everyone who disagrees is just ignorant or stupid. You don't know anything either.

17. itjw macrumors 65816

Look, I have confirmation from 2 individuals who "manage" the "geniuses". I couldn't care less if you believe me or not, and I also couldn't care less if you continue to voice your "opinion" as you are free to do so and I never implied otherwise.

You're still wrong, but you are well within your rights and I am ok with you being so. See how that works?

How long do you think it takes for Apple to refurb products when they have:

A) an endless supply of customer returns that need VERY little "refurbishing"

and

B) an endless supply of people waiting to buy retail boxed phones (as opposed to "saving" those phones for the OCD crowd to churn through)

???

Clearly you think it takes years, or decades... who knows. If you don't think they are out by now you are WRONG. I'm not saying you're an idiot, or calling you anything but what you are. Wrong. It doesn't take long for a multi-BILLION dollar company to maximize profitablity by ensuring it's refurb line is functioning efficiently.

I have on good authority that it has been that way since week 3. From 2 store managers. It's not good enough for you (along with the other overwhelming evidence).

Fine by me:D