Replacement iPhone (refurb or pre-owned)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Achiever, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

My wife put her iPhone 5 through the wash today. Suffice it to say, dead as Dillinger.

She is 6 months into her 2 year contract so buying a new one becomes a very pricey proposition (no subsidy) and I do not believe Apple sells refurbs on these things so no savings to be had there. Can anyone recommend a place (other than eBay or back-of-a-van) where one can buy refurbed or pre-owned iPhones, preferably a 4S or 5? I am finding lots of places online who buy them, but no one seems to be selling.

Also, we still have my wife's old iPhone 4 at home. How difficult would it be to once again make that her active phone? Would I have to go to Apple/the carrier or could I just do it through iTunes myself? Thanks in advance.

2. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I know AT&T used to sell refurbs (not the same thing as re-manufactured), but not sure if they're selling the i5. Couldn't hurt to look though.

3. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

I would try Apple and explain the situation. You may be able to get an Out of Warranty replacement for $229.

From Apple:

Apple offers two service options for iPhones that are not eligible for warranty service.

Battery Replacement Service
    If your iPhone requires service due to the battery’s diminished ability to hold an electrical charge and it is not covered under Apple's warranty, an AppleCare service contract or statutory consumer rights, Apple will service your iPhone for a service fee. For more details, please refer to the Battery Replacement Service information. You can also contact your carrier (except AT&T and Virgin Mobile) for more information.
    Out-of-Warranty Service

If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will service your iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.
    iPhone model Out-of-Warranty Service
    iPhone 5 $229
    iPhone 4S $199
    iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS,
    iPhone 3G, Original iPhone $149

A $6.95 shipping fee will be added if service is arranged through Apple and requires shipping. All fees are in U.S. dollars and are subject to local tax.

When setting up out-of-warranty service, Apple will request credit card pre-authorization for the maximum service fee listed above. This amount will be deducted from your credit limit. The final service fee we charge will be determined during testing and may be less than the service fee listed above.

Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service.

Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not your iPhone is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. iPhones that are repaired or replaced have a 90-day limited hardware warranty or assume the remainder of your standard warranty or AppleCare service contract coverage, whichever is longer. Please see Apple's Repair Terms And Conditions for further details.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone

4. anaqvi786 macrumors regular

I remember seeing refurbished iPhones at the Apple online stores. This was a long time ago, and I am not sure if they still do. Also, you would have to pay for one at full price if I am not mistaken. Most carriers do have per owned phones at the individual kiosks.

As for re activating the other iPhone 4, all you have to do is enter your phones IMEI or MEID, depending on your carrier. You need to have an online account with your carrier.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'd start with Apple out of warranty service as your best bet.

Second to that, your carrier *might* offer an early upgrade at a reduced discount. Worth checking but don't hold your breath.

Gamestop sells used and refurbished phones online and in some stores.
    Gazelle sells used phones through their eBay store with a return period. http://stores.ebay.com/Gazelle-Store

Swappa is supposed to be a pretty reliable online phone buying/selling site for individual sales.

6. Achiever thread starter macrumors 6502

Achiever

As always, the MacRumors forums remain the most helpful on the web. Thank you all for your assistance and ideas.

7. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If the warranty doesn't pan out I would try buying one off Craigslist. Yes, I know there are some shady sellers. But, my wife and I both sold our 4S for only $150 when we bought our i5. Her 4S was in mint condition and mine was in very good condition.

8. Achiever thread starter macrumors 6502

Achiever

For those who followed or assisted with this thread, the matter was resolved with a new phone through Apple's Out of Warranty program. It turned out to be the cheapest way to get her a new iPhone 5. Thanks to all who helped.

9. AFDoc macrumors 68030

If you have an older iphone, 3/3s you can take those in and pay the $199 for oow replacement and receive an i4. Many don't know that.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Two questions... is it $199 or $149? Apple's site says $149 for OOW service on the 4/3GS/3G.

$150 to change out and old 3GS to a refurbed 4 might be worthwhile in some circumstances. Thanks for the heads up!

11. AFDoc macrumors 68030

If it says $150 on apple's site that must be right. When I did it it was $200 but that must of dropped. $150 is a way better deal lol. It's def worth it IMHO, I traded in my damaged 3gs for $200 and sold the 4 for $400. A nice profit for 10 minutes of effort.

12. Achiever thread starter macrumors 6502

Achiever

Interesting. I did not know that either. Unfortunately, the oldest we have is a 4 with a wonky home button. We gave it to the kids for their games, music, etc. But a great tip! Thanks for sharing.