Replacement Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daviddcmd, Apr 5, 2012.

1. daviddcmd macrumors member

So the home button stopped working on my IP4 5.01. I will pay the $149 for a replacement phone. Question, are the replacement phones new or refurbs and can I request a 5.01 instead of 5.1.

TIA

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

They are more likely remanufactured device. Essentially it is a new phone with a new back and front glass, new frame, and new battery. Any working parts in the previous defected iphone are reused, and they do thoroughly test them to insure that they are working properly before given out as a replacement unit.

And no, the Genius usually picks up what's in stock, it can be 5.1 or it can be 5.0.1. They can't really tell which iOS version it is using inside the box unopened. If you are looking for a 5.0.1, then you have to hope that the replacement will be 5.0.1

3. Phoenixian macrumors newbie

Just went through this on Monday

Now the fourth person whose home button recently stopped working.

I received a "new" iPhone last Monday night at the Apple Store.

I asked about the new vs. refurbished. Was told that some components within the phone could be "used" but the phone itself had never been used by anyone else.

The software on the phone was not the latest version of IOS and required updating. When I plugged the phone into my Macbook I received a message that the backup wasn't compatible to the older operating system.

Unfortunately for me, the new phone began to overwrite the older backup during set-up. The good news was a dash back to the store where my old phone had yet to be wiped. I was able to back-up all the old data, etc on to the laptop and then restore all of it to the new phone.

The best news of all was the $149 was covered by American Express's extended warranty program!

4. mattburley7, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

How are you expecting us to know exactly what software is going to be on the phone? Seriously?

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It's hard to say what Apples policy is, on which version of iOS is loaded on refurbs. I had a home button fail on my iP4 & the phone I got had an older version of iOS, than my faulty phone. Some of the iPhone 4 owners where I work also had home button failures. It's also well documented in this forum.

That said, I'd be very happy if Apple stopped using the mechanical buttons on an otherwise superior touch screen. My Samsung Galaxy's all have touch sensitive home buttons that provide a faster more efficient workflow. In addition that are far more durable.

7. Darkmx2000 macrumors newbie

There refurbished but unlike other manufactures I have never had a issue with the replacement phones that I have received. I had to replace my iP4s due to faulty board and phone continued to restore itself without prompts. I received a 5.0.1 2 weeks ago depending on how long they have been on the shelf most are still running 5.0.1

8. Darkmx2000 macrumors newbie

5.1 has not been out that long so there is a good chance that you will get a device that still has 5.0.1 but make sure that you ask the Genius not to update the phone, tell them that your backup is from 5.0.1 and that if they do the update it will void out the backup. Worked for me.

9. mattburley7 macrumors 68030

My backup is from iOS 5.1 actually.

10. svenn macrumors 6502

Has apple stopped their "one-time only" out of warranty replacements?