Replacement iPhone

GSewall350

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
I recently shattered the screen in my iPhone 5 and am going to the Apple Store today to get a replacement unit for the $229 out-of-warranty replacement program. Is there any way to tell if the phone they give me is a refurbished unit or a new unit?

codyst

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2008
Austin, TX
My understanding is that everyone gets 1 free replacement, per account, for a shattered screen.

When I shattered my 4S someone on here told me about the free replacement so I went to the apple store. Got it replaced absolutely free!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Not sure how accurate it is, but I found this:

Examine the iPhone's serial number. The digits within a serial number will indicate when the iPhone was manufactured and produced.
Determine if the first digit of the serial number is "5." If the device has been refurbished and is "Apple Certified," then Apple will modify the serial number to begin with the number "5."
Locate the third digit of the serial number. The third digit indicates the last digit of the year in which the iPhone was manufactured. For example, if the third digit is an "8," the iPhone was made in the year 2008. If the third digit is a "0," then the iPhone was manufactured in 2010.
Examine the fourth and fifth digits of the serial number. These digits will indicate the week of year in which the phone was manufactured. For example, if the fourth and fifth digits are "51," then the iPhone was made in late December of the year it was manufactured.
Although the manufacturing dates within a serial number may not be recent, it is still possible that the iPhone has never been used and has been sitting in its original packaging since its release.
http://m.wikihow.com/Identify-a-Refurbished-Iphone

Apple Trees

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2013
People are usually charged for a replacement on a cracked screen. On rare occasions they give people a free replacement if it's the first time you've had a cracked screen.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
None of the phones are refurbished, but they are remanufactured. It means the components inside have previously been used but the external casing is 100% new and so is the battery.

There use to be a way to tell with the serial number starting with 5K, but that is no longer the case because the way Apple creates serial numbers have changed.

Regardless, remanufactured devices are thoroughly tested before being shipped to Apple stores and are usually better than brand new devices.

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
I just got a replacement for a launch day iPhone 5 because the volume down button stopped working. White box replacement and perfect. That s until the first mysterious chip after a day or two. ;)

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
None of the phones are refurbished, but they are remanufactured. It means the components inside have previously been used but the external casing is 100% new and so is the battery.

There use to be a way to tell with the serial number starting with 5K, but that is no longer the case because the way Apple creates serial numbers have changed.

Regardless, remanufactured devices are thoroughly tested before being shipped to Apple stores and are usually better than brand new devices.
They're not better, they're the same.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
They're not better, they're the same.
They are better because they are thoroughly tested before sent to the Apple Store and given to the consumer, unlike a new phone. Few units per batch, which could be hundreds of thousands are tested for quality control, but remanufactured phones are individually tested.

So chances of having a problem with a replacement phone are much slimmer than a new in box.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
They are better because they are thoroughly tested before sent to the Apple Store and given to the consumer, unlike a new phone. Few units per batch, which could be hundreds of thousands are tested for quality control, but remanufactured phones are individually tested.

So chances of having a problem with a replacement phone are much slimmer than a new in box.
This doesn't mean they're better. The chance that the phone is DOA is simply smaller. And testing simply means verifying that all components work. You're not getting a better quality screen, more precisely finished casing or whatever. The phone may still come with small dents and scratches just as regular iPhone 5's.