Replacement iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GSewall350, May 28, 2013.

1. GSewall350 macrumors newbie

I recently shattered the screen in my iPhone 5 and am going to the Apple Store today to get a replacement unit for the $229 out-of-warranty replacement program. Is there any way to tell if the phone they give me is a refurbished unit or a new unit?

2. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

My understanding is that everyone gets 1 free replacement, per account, for a shattered screen.

When I shattered my 4S someone on here told me about the free replacement so I went to the apple store. Got it replaced absolutely free!

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Not sure how accurate it is, but I found this:

http://m.wikihow.com/Identify-a-Refurbished-Iphone

4. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

People are usually charged for a replacement on a cracked screen. On rare occasions they give people a free replacement if it's the first time you've had a cracked screen.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

None of the phones are refurbished, but they are remanufactured. It means the components inside have previously been used but the external casing is 100% new and so is the battery.

There use to be a way to tell with the serial number starting with 5K, but that is no longer the case because the way Apple creates serial numbers have changed.

Regardless, remanufactured devices are thoroughly tested before being shipped to Apple stores and are usually better than brand new devices.

6. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

I just got a replacement for a launch day iPhone 5 because the volume down button stopped working. White box replacement and perfect. That s until the first mysterious chip after a day or two. ;)

7. Merkie macrumors 68020

They're not better, they're the same.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

They are better because they are thoroughly tested before sent to the Apple Store and given to the consumer, unlike a new phone. Few units per batch, which could be hundreds of thousands are tested for quality control, but remanufactured phones are individually tested.

So chances of having a problem with a replacement phone are much slimmer than a new in box.

9. Merkie macrumors 68020

This doesn't mean they're better. The chance that the phone is DOA is simply smaller. And testing simply means verifying that all components work. You're not getting a better quality screen, more precisely finished casing or whatever. The phone may still come with small dents and scratches just as regular iPhone 5's.