Replacement iPhones from the Apple Store...

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
So I made an appointment to get my iPhone 5 replaced after HORRIBLE battery life. 1% after only 4 hours 38 minutes usage, 12 hours standby.

What's the process, do I get another new one, or refurbished? Should I bring the original box, headphones and charger? And if so do they hand me another unopened box like I got delivered to me?

I'd appreciate any help.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Have you tried a restore? Apps running in the background? Are you in a poor coverage area?

The likelihood of your iPhone's battery being defective is slim, but possible. I'd try ruling that out first.

Because it's so early, you will get a new one. You just need to bring the phone, and they will give you another phone no box.

phixionalninja

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
So I made an appointment to get my iPhone 5 replaced after HORRIBLE battery life. 1% after only 4 hours 38 minutes usage, 12 hours standby.

What's the process, do I get another new one, or refurbished? Should I bring the original box, headphones and charger? And if so do they hand me another unopened box like I got delivered to me?

I'd appreciate any help.
While the previous reply should be right, when I got mine swapped for a couple dead pixels on release day they did want me to have my original packaging, and I had to drive home and back to the store. It takes next to no effort to bring your packaging and accessories, regardless of whether you need them or not, so I'd recommend it just in case.

CBlake82

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Seattle, WA
Because it's so early, you will get a new one. You just need to bring the phone, and they will give you another phone no box.[/QUOTE]

This. Although, They had to submit a hardware order for me today as every store in the Greater Seattle area where I am are out of replacement phones right now. So hopefully the situation is better where you are!

Also FWIW if you accept a replacement from the genius bar, your phone is no longer returnable, even within your 30 day return window. That was news to me today.

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
So I made my appointment and the Genius had to go through two phones before I chose one that was "flawless". By the way, I was NOT allowed to switch to a white phone, so I'm stuck with black/slate. It was a painless transaction but my serial number now starts with a "DNP". Anyone knows where that originates from??

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
There's no way it was a refurbished phone, but I'm guessing it's their way to keep track of a replacement phone. I still feel like a step child...

henry72

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
There's no way it was a refurbished phone, but I'm guessing it's their way to keep track of a replacement phone. I still feel like a step child...
So was it inside a new iPhone 5 box or just a brown box? I think it could be an refurbished iPhone, you should return it and buy a new one

imaginex20

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
I don't care if the serial number is DNP because this phone is much better than my old one. It's flawless.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
if a serial number on a phone makes you feel like a step child, then you have some serious issues...:rolleyes:

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
I don't care if the serial number is DNP because this phone is much better than my old one. It's flawless.

I think DN's are the ones that more often than not are GOOD.

My new-in-box retail iPhone 5 starts with DNP, as well as my dads.

My other one that had earpiece issues started with F1...

Not saying all F1's have problems, though.

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
So was it inside a new iPhone 5 box or just a brown box? I think it could be an refurbished iPhone, you should return it and buy a new one
Actually broski, it was in a smaller unmarked sealed white box that the employee had to open with a metal tool. It had the same plastic seal protectors that my original iPhone came in, and like the poster before me mentioned, this one is completely and truly flawless in appearance. Now I have to check battery life.

----------

if a serial number on a phone makes you feel like a step child, then you have some serious issues...:rolleyes:
Dude...

Dude.

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
I think DN's are the ones that more often than not are GOOD.

My new-in-box retail iPhone 5 starts with DNP, as well as my dads.

My other one that had earpiece issues started with F1...

Not saying all F1's have problems, though.
Yup, I like to believe that the DNP serial numbers are the phones that were made with higher tolerances than the ones shipped in original boxes...

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
FYI.. There are no refurbished phones via the Genius Bar anymore. Haven't been in a while. The service stock comes off the same assembly line as the new retail models. They just skip retail packaging and go directly to service stock replenishment.

Distributing and servicing a refurbished product is more expensive than issuing a new one. This has been proven and adapted by most companies over the past 5-10 years

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
FYI.. There are no refurbished phones via the Genius Bar anymore. Haven't been in a while. The service stock comes off the same assembly line as the new retail models. They just skip retail packaging and go directly to service stock replenishment.

Distributing and servicing a refurbished product is more expensive than issuing a new one. This has been proven and adapted by most companies over the past 5-10 years
...thank you for that info, makes perfect sense.

k24eg22

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
I had the same problem with my phone n my wife.. Heres what i did thanks to some one on here...
Back up your phone
Google ios6 ipsw
Download this file from the albins site its about 982mb
Put phone in dfu mode..
Open itunes.
When the itunes notices the phone in recover mode hold shift and click restore. It will let u find a file... Look for the file you downloaded the ios6 file... Click it and let it install fresh io6...

Now when u set up your iphone set up as NEW IPHONE...

Then you can restore from backup.. Am 2-2 so far. Am gonna do my cousins phone tomorrow..

I can def tell a differnce in battery life!

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I had the same problem with my phone n my wife.. Heres what i did thanks to some one on here...
Back up your phone
Google ios6 ipsw
Download this file from the albins site its about 982mb
Put phone in dfu mode..
Open itunes.
When the itunes notices the phone in recover mode hold shift and click restore. It will let u find a file... Look for the file you downloaded the ios6 file... Click it and let it install fresh io6...

Now when u set up your iphone set up as NEW IPHONE...

Then you can restore from backup.. Am 2-2 so far. Am gonna do my cousins phone tomorrow..

I can def tell a differnce in battery life!
Why would you bother doing all that when you can just swap your phone wih Apple?