Replacement iPhones from the Apple Store...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fanboi4life, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Fanboi4life macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

So I made an appointment to get my iPhone 5 replaced after HORRIBLE battery life. 1% after only 4 hours 38 minutes usage, 12 hours standby.

What's the process, do I get another new one, or refurbished? Should I bring the original box, headphones and charger? And if so do they hand me another unopened box like I got delivered to me?

I'd appreciate any help.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Have you tried a restore? Apps running in the background? Are you in a poor coverage area?

The likelihood of your iPhone's battery being defective is slim, but possible. I'd try ruling that out first.

Because it's so early, you will get a new one. You just need to bring the phone, and they will give you another phone no box.

3. phixionalninja macrumors member

While the previous reply should be right, when I got mine swapped for a couple dead pixels on release day they did want me to have my original packaging, and I had to drive home and back to the store. It takes next to no effort to bring your packaging and accessories, regardless of whether you need them or not, so I'd recommend it just in case.

4. CBlake82 macrumors member

Because it's so early, you will get a new one. You just need to bring the phone, and they will give you another phone no box.[/QUOTE]

This. Although, They had to submit a hardware order for me today as every store in the Greater Seattle area where I am are out of replacement phones right now. So hopefully the situation is better where you are!

Also FWIW if you accept a replacement from the genius bar, your phone is no longer returnable, even within your 30 day return window. That was news to me today.

5. Fanboi4life thread starter macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

So I made my appointment and the Genius had to go through two phones before I chose one that was "flawless". By the way, I was NOT allowed to switch to a white phone, so I'm stuck with black/slate. It was a painless transaction but my serial number now starts with a "DNP". Anyone knows where that originates from??

6. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

My replacement has a serial number starting with DNP too.

7. Fanboi4life thread starter macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

There's no way it was a refurbished phone, but I'm guessing it's their way to keep track of a replacement phone. I still feel like a step child...

8. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

So was it inside a new iPhone 5 box or just a brown box? I think it could be an refurbished iPhone, you should return it and buy a new one

9. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

I don't care if the serial number is DNP because this phone is much better than my old one. It's flawless.

10. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

if a serial number on a phone makes you feel like a step child, then you have some serious issues...:rolleyes:

11. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I think DN's are the ones that more often than not are GOOD.

My new-in-box retail iPhone 5 starts with DNP, as well as my dads.

My other one that had earpiece issues started with F1...

Not saying all F1's have problems, though.

12. Fanboi4life thread starter macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

Actually broski, it was in a smaller unmarked sealed white box that the employee had to open with a metal tool. It had the same plastic seal protectors that my original iPhone came in, and like the poster before me mentioned, this one is completely and truly flawless in appearance. Now I have to check battery life.

----------

Dude...

Dude.

13. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I ordered mine off the Apple site the night they started taking preorders, and my serial starts with DNP as well.

14. Fanboi4life thread starter macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

Yup, I like to believe that the DNP serial numbers are the phones that were made with higher tolerances than the ones shipped in original boxes...

15. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

FYI.. There are no refurbished phones via the Genius Bar anymore. Haven't been in a while. The service stock comes off the same assembly line as the new retail models. They just skip retail packaging and go directly to service stock replenishment.

Distributing and servicing a refurbished product is more expensive than issuing a new one. This has been proven and adapted by most companies over the past 5-10 years

16. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

DNP = Chengdu,China (Foxconn).

http://sndeep.info/en

17. Fanboi4life thread starter macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

...thank you for that info, makes perfect sense.

18. k24eg22 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with my phone n my wife.. Heres what i did thanks to some one on here...
    Back up your phone
    Google ios6 ipsw
    Download this file from the albins site its about 982mb
    Put phone in dfu mode..
    Open itunes.
    When the itunes notices the phone in recover mode hold shift and click restore. It will let u find a file... Look for the file you downloaded the ios6 file... Click it and let it install fresh io6...

Now when u set up your iphone set up as NEW IPHONE...

Then you can restore from backup.. Am 2-2 so far. Am gonna do my cousins phone tomorrow..

I can def tell a differnce in battery life!

19. nolegirl01 macrumors regular

I just picked up my phone yesterday and it was brand new, original box still shrink wrapped. My serial also starts with DNP.

20. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Why would you bother doing all that when you can just swap your phone wih Apple?

21. k24eg22 macrumors newbie

Dident have time to run to apple... Its a 45min drive...