replacement options for out of warranty 6 Plus that's beginning to fail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SheridanMac, Apr 4, 2016.

1. SheridanMac macrumors member

I purchased it on its release day back in September 2014 and had been very happy with it until it recently starting intermittently exhibiting a nonresponsive screen with static-y white bands at the top that is only temporarily resolved by putting pressure on upper right of the screen. From my research it looks like this will only get worse and will brick in the near future. Anyone gone through this? I'm an older AT&T contract with grandfathered in unlimited data, and thus somewhat limited in my phone upgrade options until this September. Has anyone gone through a similar predicament? Debating whether to spend the $300 on a refurbished 6 Plus replacement (that's what they quoted me at the Apple Store) or go in a different direction. Not even sure if there are any other viable options. Very frustrating!

2. 617aircav Suspended

Sell it and buy something else. If the phone is bad what other options do you have ?

3. SheridanMac thread starter macrumors member

Doubt I'd get much for it considering its problems. The other option is to replace it for $300 at the apple store (i'd have to turn in the old phone to get a replacement). Just having a tough time stomaching that because was really hoping to be able to wait until Fall and upgrade to a new iPhone 7.

4. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Demonstrate it at an apple store, they might help you out.

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Get the $300 replacement. That's a good deal. You can probably sell it for $400 in September.

6. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

In case you used a credit card for your original purchase, many provide an extended warranty which would cover this problem.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I wouldn't sink another dime I to a 6 plus, but I was never happy with that phone. Since you were, repairing it seems the best option. Is apple unwilling to do just a screen replacement? That should be about half of what they quoted you and I'm betting that would solve your problem. They should be able to do it in house too.

Conversely, should they be strict on the $300 fee, consider selling the phone and grabbing an SE? You could probably get a couple $100 for your plus and the SE runs $400. Of course the screen is much smaller but it will runs circles around the plus in most other performance bullet points.

8. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Had the same issue with my 6 Plus, and my replacement 6 Plus still has the problems. Ask if they can still do an exeception. It's a very known problem.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 5, 2016 ---
    True