replacement phones...new or refurbs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by glocke12, Nov 8, 2011.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Just had my ip4s replaced because I dropped it. I was ready to pay the $200.00 replacement fee but the genius was cool and waved it without me asking.

Replacement was a "black box" phone. Anyone know what the deal is with these? Are these just new phones set aside for replacements or refurbs? (seems kind of early for those).

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

This has been discussed to death do a search.

3. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

gosh excuse me...

4. tsduke macrumors regular

From what I've read they have been mostly new so far, but I did read a post of someone saying an Apple store already had refurbs.

What does the serial# start with?

What's the model#?

5. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

He's right, it has been discussed quite a lot... but, to save you the trouble.

The black boxes are generally refurbs, however, as the 4s is such a new device, the odds of any phone being returned, sent back to China, repaired, tested, repackaged, shipped back and then placed in a store is little to none.

So, 99.9% chance you have a brand new phone.

Apple will place new phones in the same black boxes as replacement stock until refurbs are easier to get.

6. iWantThat macrumors member

Refurb or not I would be happy that you got another phone without having to pay the $200 OOW fee. I figured that with applecare+, geniuses would no longer do this anymore.

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

They've been "in the wild" for 3 weeks now, I would expect true refurbs to be making their way into stores at this point.

8. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

thanks for the replies, and for the record I did search before i posted but found nothing conclusive using these search parameters. "replacement iphone4s new or refurb november 2011"

Serial number: C39gk9endxxx
    Model: MD272LL

9. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

It is brand new. C39 was my serial before I returned it

10. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

great thanks...would have been happy either way, but happier to know it is brand new

as a side not, guess I won't have my phone going naked anymore..couldnt believe it happened, the darn thing basically flew out of my pocket.

11. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Definitely a brand new phone.

From my experience, I had to replace a lot of iphone 4 due to many issue, and I kept getting replacement phones that started with 5K. The first few replacements were not 5K and started with 85, or 88. This is because I've had to replace my iphone 4 (purchased on August 2010) few times under one month. Anything after one month, I started getting 5K's.

Just be careful with your brand new phone, the odds that next time you go in for a replacement, you might get a replacement that starts with 5K.

12. rkeato1 macrumors regular

Brand new, no refurbs yet - at least not at my store.

13. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

14. jekyoo macrumors 6502

Whoa, I can't believe the genius replaced your phone for free. Pretty generous of him.

With the serial # you have, it is def new. All refurbs/replacements have a specific type of serial #.

15. Coley macrumors member

Just out of curiosity, what do the model numbers signify?
    Are they ever an indicator of what factory your phone was made by, new, refurb, anything anyone might want to know?

16. nmork macrumors regular

Apple doesn't have refurbs, they have "reserialized" phones. Basically, everything is new except for the processor, memory, and maybe a few other components if they test out ok (vibrate motor, etc). It all gets put into a "new" phone with a new serial number and sent out as a replacement phone.

At this point if it's a 4S it's probably brand new regardless; usually takes a month or two for old parts to make it into new phones.

also: http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

17. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure stores don't have any refurbs yet. If you get a replacement next week on the other hand, its probably a refurb by that point.

18. Dreamre macrumors newbie

19. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Yeah, definitely cool of that guy, like I said I was ready and willing to pay the $200.00 for a service replacement since it was my own carelessness that caused the damage.

I've bought alot of Apple products over the past 5-6 years, have not had many issues, but have had some and have basically found that there are two types of "geniuses", one that believes in "customer satisfaction", and the second one who is a total d-bag.

Off topic but a couple of examples. had a key that popped out on my 2009 MBP which was out of warranty. I couldn't fix it so took it in to the GB. The guy took it in the back and came out 5 minutes later with it fixed for free. 6 months later I had the same thing happen, took it back to the GB but got a different genius who wanted to charge me $200.00 for a new KB. I was surprised considering my first experience. Took it back the next day and got a different genius who again fixed the key for free.

Also, when I was there last night a guy was in with his broken iPod touch. I caught part of the conversation and basically it sounds like it was damaged by the user somehow and was OOW by 14 days. Genius ended up giving the guy a service replacement and the customer walked away happy.

Some geniuses are great, some are not.

20. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

My local Apple store got in it's first refurb 4S units last week.

21. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

How do you know? Did you ask? Were you the recipient of one?

22. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

The casing and screens are only about $40 to replace - the mainboard is the expensive bit.

I just replaced the casing, screen, glass, battery, camera, basically everything on my 3GS except the mainboard. Cost me $45 shipped from China for the lot. Apple will be paying a lot less.

So, a refurb is probably a totally new phone except the mainboard which will be tested and wiped.